My hammer coral dying because of strong flow

phuongtp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tweak my wave maker a bit a few days ago and it became too strong, I didn't notice that until today when all my hammers shrink down to the bone, I know that because before the tweak they doing fine, I just turn off the wave maker, let's hope they can be revived :disappointed-face:

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tweak my wave maker a bit a few days ago and it became too strong, I didn't notice that until today when all my hammers shrink down to the bone, I know that because before the tweak they doing fine, I just turn off the wave maker, let's hope they can be revived :disappointed-face:
Sorry to hear.
They should perk up if it was only a few minutes. Or was it a few days of power washing? That may be a problem.
Post a pic.

OP
OP
P

phuongtp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear.
They should perk up if it was only a few minutes. Or was it a few days of power washing? That may be a problem.
Post a pic.
It’s about a day I guess, I change at night and leave it until for a day of work, here pics
8F6AF980-47A2-467C-8072-94660B20BFA1.jpeg
50E307D5-799F-42A1-8FC8-87B70553077A.jpeg
37D631F8-BF11-4B3B-A96C-022B51280777.jpeg

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope they recover for you. I've got a terrible track record with Euphyllia in general. Can't seem to make them happy in my tank no matter what I do. They look great then suddenly they don't. Good luck.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s about a day I guess, I change at night and leave it until for a day of work, here pics
8F6AF980-47A2-467C-8072-94660B20BFA1.jpeg
50E307D5-799F-42A1-8FC8-87B70553077A.jpeg
37D631F8-BF11-4B3B-A96C-022B51280777.jpeg
They don't look very good.
1) they don't like being in the sand bed. The sand irritates the flesh.
2) this looks like it's more than just a powerhead problem.

Would you mind posting all your parameters?

OP
OP
P

phuongtp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope they recover for you. I've got a terrible track record with Euphyllia in general. Can't seem to make them happy in my tank no matter what I do. They look great then suddenly they don't. Good luck.
yeah, I feel really hard to maintain them

OP
OP
P

phuongtp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't look very good.
1) they don't like being in the sand bed. The sand irritates the flesh.
2) this looks like it's more than just a powerhead problem.

Would you mind posting all your parameters?
at night now so I will post my parameters tomorrow, recently I test everything fine, nh3 0.1, no3, no2 ~ 0.1, po4 a bit high ~ 0.1, but I dose seachem pristine to reduce po4 a bit

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, I feel really hard to maintain them
It can be for some. Every tank is different so I suppose that applies.

All I can say is, I've not had success with Euphyllia myself. I have a frogspawn right now that I've had for about 6 months. It started out big and bushy. Now it's mostly pulled in and barely extends. It is growing another small head on it but I've tried everything I can think of to make it happy so it'll get back to looking like it should. Haven't figured it out yet, but at least it's still alive so far. That's the most success I've had seen with Euphyllia.

Weird thing is it's a mixed reef tank so I have Acros, SPS, other LPS and softies in there and the rest are doing great.

OP
OP
P

phuongtp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be for some. Every tank is different so I suppose that applies.

All I can say is, I've not had success with Euphyllia myself. I have a frogspawn right now that I've had for about 6 months. It started out big and bushy. Now it's mostly pulled in and barely extends. It is growing another small head on it but I've tried everything I can think of to make it happy so it'll get back to looking like it should. Haven't figured it out yet, but at least it's still alive so far. That's the most success I've had seen with Euphyllia.

Weird thing is it's a mixed reef tank so I have Acros, SPS, other LPS and softies in there and the rest are doing great.
but can a dead one revive after a while ( grow new head? )

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but can a dead one revive after a while ( grow new head? )
Nope. Dead is dead. My FS isn't dead or dying, just not extended at all. But it's still growing out a tiny new head. Seems weird that if it's not happy it would still grow a new head but that's what's happening.

In your case, they look pretty bad but they could turn around. Euphyllia are temperamental IME so hopefully yours will bounce back. It'll most likely be a slow recovery though.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, if it's just too much flow that can also cause damage/infections. Watch for brown jelly and treat appropriately with peroxide, CoralRx etc. Also, as I recently found out when a torch stopped looking good that Euphyllia eating flatworms had got to it. CoralRx took care of that problem and also treated any infection. Other than that, just make sure not too much light and flow and wait and see.

OP
OP
P

phuongtp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. Dead is dead. My FS isn't dead or dying, just not extended at all. But it's still growing out a tiny new head. Seems weird that if it's not happy it would still grow a new head but that's what's happening.

In your case, they look pretty bad but they could turn around. Euphyllia are temperamental IME so hopefully yours will bounce back. It'll most likely be a slow recovery though.
should I keep feeding them now, I fed them with reef roids once a week before

OP
OP
P

phuongtp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, if it's just too much flow that can also cause damage/infections. Watch for brown jelly and treat appropriately with peroxide, CoralRx etc. Also, as I recently found out when a torch stopped looking good that Euphyllia eating flatworms had got to it. CoralRx took care of that problem and also treated any infection. Other than that, just make sure not too much light and flow and wait and see.
sadly there’s no coralRx in my country

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should I keep feeding them now, I fed them with reef roids once a week before
At this point I don't think feeding them will do any good. If they come back out some and look to be recovering then start back with feeding. They most likely won't eat while stressed and you'll just end up making your water quality worse due to uneaten nutrients floating around. Especially Reef Roids, that stuff is super concentrated and can skew Nit and Phos quick if over done.

I'd say just keep lighting the same as you had it since they were fine with it before. Keep flow at a minimum for now (still need some flow), keep your water parameters as stable as possible (avoid large shifts both up and down) and wait and watch. Anything you do now to them directly will contribute to their stress so as with most things in the reefing hobby, wait and see what happens. Nothing good happens fast in this hobby we enjoy so much.

That's just my opinion. You could always try a Iodine dip or a similar approach but I'd predict the negatives would outweigh the positives on it. Maybe someone more knowledgeable will jump in and give you some other options.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
at night now so I will post my parameters tomorrow, recently I test everything fine, nh3 0.1, no3, no2 ~ 0.1, po4 a bit high ~ 0.1, but I dose seachem pristine to reduce po4 a bit
Seachem pristine does nothing to help po4. At 0.1 po4 you are fine. That is a great number to be at.

Back