My ICP result + My manual Test. Anything I should fix?

SomeHappyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1000008090.jpg

1000008092.jpg

-Quick observation I made on my salinity level, I use a hanna salinity checker but I tested the water with a refractometer also because I had a doubt and it showed 35.9ppt on the refracto so I reclibrated my Hanna to make sure and it still showed 35ppt after calibration on May 2 so I thought nothing of it since I had use RoDi to clibrate my refractometer. The ICP test gives me a 35.9ppt. So who do I trust ?

My results when I tested by hand on May 6, 17h after taking the ICP sample:
Salinity 34.6ppt
Alk 7.7dKh
Nitrate 10.6ppm
Phos 0.02
Cal 365
Mg 1350

ICP vs Manual difference:
Salinity +1.3ppt
Alk -0.2 dKh
Nitrate -3.2ppm lower
Phos -0.05ppm
Cal +35ppm
Mg +67ppm

-Should I worry about something or fix an issue here ? Everything seems fine except the high salinity?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is your refractometer calibrated? in my opinion, a calibrated refrac should be the end-all for salinity.

Otherwise your tests look great to me, but Iodine could probably afford to be supplemented.

Is there any observable problem you are trying to diagnose? If not, I wouldn't try to chase numbers - you'll probably do more harm than good.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought nothing of it since I had use RoDi to clibrate my refractometer. The ICP test gives me a 35.9ppt. So who do I trust ?
is your refractometer calibrated? in my opinion, a calibrated refrac should be the end-all for salinity.
This right here.
Trust a properly calibrated refractometer, not one calibrated with rodi.

Randy Holmes-Farley has an article on a diy calibration fluid. Use that to calibrate and report back.

OP
OP
SomeHappyFish

SomeHappyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Otherwise your tests look great to me, but Iodine could probably afford to be supplemented.

Is there any observable problem you are trying to diagnose? If not, I wouldn't try to chase numbers - you'll probably do more harm than good.
I calibrated it with Ro/Di just for fun and it actually gave me a reading of 35.9ppt but I didn't considered it accurate since it was with Ro/Di.

The observable problem was, the occasional diatom bloom after a water change so I wanted to see the silicate level in my RO water but other then that I wanted a base line of my reef parameters and a confirmation that everything is in order before ordering a bunch of corals.

OP
OP
SomeHappyFish

SomeHappyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
SomeHappyFish

SomeHappyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I calibrated it with Ro/Di just for fun and it actually gave me a reading of 35.9ppt but I didn't considered it accurate since it was with Ro/Di.

The observable problem was, the occasional diatom bloom after a water change so I wanted to see the silicate level in my RO water but other then that I wanted a base line of my reef parameters and a confirmation that everything is in order before ordering a bunch of corals.
I will give it a read and report tonight.
So I followed the recipe and mixed the correct salt/water ratio and calibrated my refractometer to 35ppt. I went to my tank took a sample and got 35ppt. I took my Hanna salinity tester out for a test and also got 35ppt.
I guess my last water change fixed the issue without knowing.I will buy a calibration fluid when I order my corals to make sure.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I followed the recipe and mixed the correct salt/water ratio and calibrated my refractometer to 35ppt. I went to my tank took a sample and got 35ppt. I took my Hanna salinity tester out for a test and also got 35ppt.
I guess my last water change fixed the issue without knowing.I will buy a calibration fluid when I order my corals to make sure.
Um, you just made calibration fluid that was developed by a scientist, checked it, and found it worked.
Now you want to go out and buy premade calibration fluid that was made by a minium wage blue collar worker that has no stock in your tank. They have been found to be incorrect at times.
Personally, if stick with the DIY version.

OP
OP
SomeHappyFish

SomeHappyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Um, you just made calibration fluid that was developed by a scientist, checked it, and found it worked.
Now you want to go out and buy premade calibration fluid that was made by a minium wage blue collar worker that has no stock in your tank. They have been found to be incorrect at times.
Personally, if stick with the DIY version.
True, I could invest in a more accurate scale for my other hobbies ❄️

Joke aside, I decided to check the ICP batch code of my Aquaforest Sea Salt and it had none existent values of some of the Macro Elements.

Sea Salt:
Strontium (Sr) 0.00 mg/l
Iodine (I) 0.00 mg/l

Reef Salt:
Strontium (Sr) 7.27mg/l
Iodine 0.05mg/l

This might explain why I saw an improvement in my Zoa and Alveopora polyps after gradually switching salt.

Water Change 1: 10% made of
50% of Sea Salt
50% of Reef Salt

WT 2: 10% made of
50% of Sea Salt
50% of Reef Salt

WT 3: 10% made of
100% of Reef Salt

It was mainly at the last water change that I saw a big improvement in my alveopora polyps. Maybe because of the Sr & I elements being introduced in my tank.

I will continue with the weekly water change before adding Sr, I or F on it's own.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 137 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 110 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back