My Mangrove Greenhouse

Andrews_aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!
I wanted to showcase my greenhouse with 120 gallon saltwater pond. I set it up about 10 months ago using natural seawater and Australian Branching live rock from Unique Coral.
I use no filtration except for 55 gallon water changes every 2 weeks, sometimes less.
I use a 100w heater as the sun does most of the work for heating up the water.
I have an inkbird for control of temperature, for cooling there's a large fan that turns on for evaporative cooling. There is also a large inline fan for the greenhouse temperature plus a small greenhouse fan for general air movement for the plants. I also have Grape vines growing on top of the greenhouse for adding cooling.

livestock;
XENIA XENIA XENIA!!! They've quite simply gone bananas, and have become my primary source of nutrient export.
3 Mangroves
2 Azure Damselfish
1 Black Leopard Wrasse
Also some Halimeda
Shaving Brush Algae

I also have a 15 gallon bin with 11 Mangroves growing in freshwater, have noticed significantly more growth with the freshwater mangroves vs the saltwater.

Would love to hear peoples thoughts!

I post more pics here: https://www.instagram.com/andrews_aquarium/

green-3.jpg green-2.jpg green-4.jpg green-6.jpg green-12.jpg green-5.jpg green-9.jpg green-10.jpg IMG_4162.jpeg IMG_4168.jpeg IMG_4160.jpeg

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so cool! I actually plan to do something very similar to this in the future, the grapes over the roof give it a very magical vibe. Looking forward to watching this progress.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool. I've always eanted to do this with local flora and fauna. Luckily I live on a salt marsh. I could aquire most of my live critters at a bait shop. Due to there being a law way to do things, I'd have to buy a few mangroves. Although they and their pods are what hold my land together.

OP
OP
Andrews_aquarium

Andrews_aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so cool! I actually plan to do something very similar to this in the future, the grapes over the roof give it a very magical vibe. Looking forward to watching this progress.
Thank you! Yes it really helps with temperature and looks great, can't believe how fast those vines grow.

Very cool. I've always eanted to do this with local flora and fauna. Luckily I live on a salt marsh. I could aquire most of my live critters at a bait shop. Due to there being a law way to do things, I'd have to buy a few mangroves. Although they and their pods are what hold my land together.
That would be awesome, even just growing them in large pots if your in the area would be killer

reefadam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I love this. How’s the Root development? I remember reading that prop roots can be stimulated through fluctuating/ tidal water heights.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back