My new Infinia Reef 150.4

GrandmaReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not satisfied with the RedSea E260 I’ve got running in my office, I bit the bullet and ordered the full Infinia Reef 150.4 Package.

It was delivered on Tuesday, and I’ve been working on the aquascaping and cabinet while I wait for the movers to come and bring the tank in next week. My son helped with the sump but that tank is a beast.

Building the cabinet was a 1000 times easier than theRedSea, even without written instructions (they’re all just pictures).

I’ve got a controller board on the way because honestly, my biggest complaint so far is the lack of space under the tank but it’s forcing me to be more thoughtful about cord control. My RedSea is a mess.

I’m looking forward to building out a new reef and can’t wait to get started!

IMG_7603.jpeg IMG_7622.jpeg IMG_7640.jpeg

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not satisfied with the RedSea E260 I’ve got running in my office, I bit the bullet and ordered the full Infinia Reef 150.4 Package.

It was delivered on Tuesday, and I’ve been working on the aquascaping and cabinet while I wait for the movers to come and bring the tank in next week. My son helped with the sump but that tank is a beast.

Building the cabinet was a 1000 times easier than theRedSea, even without written instructions (they’re all just pictures).

I’ve got a controller board on the way because honestly, my biggest complaint so far is the lack of space under the tank but it’s forcing me to be more thoughtful about cord control. My RedSea is a mess.

I’m looking forward to building out a new reef and can’t wait to get started!

IMG_7603.jpeg IMG_7622.jpeg IMG_7640.jpeg
Love the aquascape!

OP
OP
G

GrandmaReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank move day is Tuesday! Movers will be coming over and getting that bad boy into place.

In the meantime I’ve been planning my mixing station and today I focused on figuring out all my wiring.

Good lord. My only complaint with the tank is the space under the cabinet - because there isn’t much here. I’m seriously considering how to remodel the pantry (behind the wall) and use part of it as a control room. But not sure I can convince the husband he really doesn’t need all those snacks. :)

My goal was labeling everything and making sure nothing was on the bottom. Im not entirely happy with the results but it’s a 100 times better than my RedSea mess so I guess there’s that.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!!!! I wish I didn’t have to work today - there’s so much to do!!
Yup, that stinks. I hope the day goes by fast for you so you can get home and start setting it up!

OP
OP
G

GrandmaReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the tank plumbed and Radions mounted. After deciding not to risk our floor and moving the tank to the basement, I was able to commandeer the utility room for water and some of the controllers. The mixing tank is still curing in the garage, but my two fresh water tanks are full and waiting to go. Plumber comes next week to install a hook up so I don’t have to run a hose from the bathroom ( where we installed a hook up on the sink for the RedSea).

Apex is up and running, and I plan to use the AquaWater Auto changer and ATO now that I have access to a drain. That’ll also make some room in the cabinet as I can take out the ATO reservoir!

I’m going to do a leak test on the overflow tomorrow before I start setting up the scape. Soon it’ll be time for the fill and fun!

IMG_7669.jpeg
IMG_7670.jpeg

OP
OP
G

GrandmaReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow what a day. I cleaned up the control room (got a control board from BRS) and got the ATO up and running. This evening I spent time setting up my aquascape and then added some sand before starting the long process of filling her up.

The seals look good! I’m a bit anxious about starting it up - but there’s nothing to do but fill it up and turn it on.

IMG_7671.jpeg
IMG_7674.jpeg

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow what a day. I cleaned up the control room (got a control board from BRS) and got the ATO up and running. This evening I spent time setting up my aquascape and then added some sand before starting the long process of filling her up.

The seals look good! I’m a bit anxious about starting it up - but there’s nothing to do but fill it up and turn it on.

IMG_7671.jpeg
IMG_7674.jpeg
Looking good!

OP
OP
G

GrandmaReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, it’s fill day! I tested the pump for leaks this morning ( used the ATO reservoir and ran it long enough to check the seals). It didn’t leak!! I don’t know why but I was more worried about this plumbing than the terrifying hand-crafted job I did on my 150g years ago. And let me tell you that thing failed and overflowed multiple times. I’m a terrible plumber so “plug and play” helps but I’m always sure I can still manage to screw if up somehow. So far so good.

RODI running straight in now. She’s at about 40ish gallons I’d say. 90ish more to go! And then the real fun - dialing it in. I like the combination of the valve on the plumbing and the control over the syncra sdc but I worry it’s too many variables to tweak. I guess we’ll see. Also: everything is freaking controlled by an app. When did that happen? It’s only been 4 years since I set up my RedSea and everything is different now. WOW.

OP
OP
G

GrandmaReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up and running!

I haven’t quite been able to dial in the flow so it’s completely quiet but it’s pretty quiet now. Still would like it silent.

I think the emergency drain is too short - it seems to engage quickly. I didn’t use the manifold kit and the outlet has a drip so I need to look at that tomorrow.

I plan to seed with some live rock from one of my other tanks. Letting the salt mix overnight before I worry about that. Then it’s stocking time!

IMG_7683.jpeg

OP
OP
G

GrandmaReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 7. I’ve been loosely following the Lasse method for cycling. I’ve got LR from an existing 29g in the sump with a few pieces in the display. Dosed Dr Tim’s and inoculated with water made from turning out the filter media in the 50g every other day.

Temp is stable at 77. Variance of .5 day/night.
PH is stable at 8.2 (.05 variation daily)
SG 1.026 (I learned to use the refractometer!)
Nitrates are measurable at 2 (RedSea Test)

I’m dosing a 1/4 tsp phyto to feed the pods I dumped in (and the ones that were on the LR I added). Chaeto in the fuge. Yeah, maybe too early for some but I’ve found if I don’t keep control of nitrates from day 1 I’m going to battle them forever. My 50g is currently way over what I’m comfortable with - even though the tank is thriving. Water changes and patience for that tank. I don’t want a chaeto reactor and it’s an AIO style tank so no sump. :-(

Skimmer is dialed in. ATO is working fine. Have adjusted the flow to where I think it needs to be - added a 3 polyp firework clove frag yesterday and played with the MP40 until I was happy with it (which means it was happy with it).

Stocking:
2 clownfish
1 Talbot’s damsel
1 Red tuxedo urchin
5 cerith snails

I have some blue leg hermits on the way (20)

I want to move my Scopas from the 50g (he’s getting too big) but not until the other fish I want are in. And later I want to add a blue throat trigger. I’d like a pair, but haven’t decided if that’s the way to go.

I fragged several polyp colonies yesterday and realized I have green polyps in the big tank and a mix of green and purple eaters in the small tank. Now I can’t decide what to move!

I’m going to keep mostly softies/LPS for the rest of the year. I might give SPS a try again after that, but in 30 years of reefing I’ve never had success with them.

So far, so good! I’ve got nitrates, which means cycling!!

Attachments

• IMG_7726.jpeg
    IMG_7726.jpeg
    128.1 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
G

GrandmaReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some days…. So it turns out I may know how to use a refractometer but I don’t know don’t know how to calibrate it. My salinity is a bit lower than I like - just under 34ppt - so I’m ATO from 35ppt to bring it up.

I’m also puzzled by the low Ph. Also maddening - RedSea ph test says about 8.1 - 8.2. Two different Apex probes tell me 7.9ish. what the heck? Ugh.

The few frags (GSP - I like it, no judgment) I have in are happy so … not chasing numbers but wish they’d at least be close.

I managed to get my Syncra SDC connected to my Apex Jr and figured out what to do with the optical sensor on - at least until I gave a good handle on evaporation rates. Right now it’s watching for low volume on my ATO reservoir. :)

CUC arriving Wednesday. Got some more frags scheduled for late next week. We’ll see if they go in or have to stay in the 29g until levels are worked out.

Attachments

• IMG_7780.png
    IMG_7780.png
    105.9 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
G

GrandmaReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate rebound kits and always screw them up. So I found some adhesive handles on Amazon and fixed it so I don’t need them. Not everyone likes handles on their tank cabinet but it’s easier for me to manage. Then I found some suction cup towel holders to keep my tank towel from laying around where I can’t find it. Tinkering is fun. :)

image.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7803.jpeg
    IMG_7803.jpeg
    156.7 KB · Views: 32

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back