My new Tunze 9012 is noisy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
JamesZ

JamesZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi Roger, I disassembled skimmer according to your Vedio instruction. I removed the impeller, didn’t find anything in pump. The noise is still the same aloud. Can it be possible after more break in days? Thank you!

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if I wanted to upgrade I would look at the 9004DC, I just think the 9410 is too large and will skim inconsistently.

OP
OP
JamesZ

JamesZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run that too. Looks like way too much air going in. There shouldn’t be any bubbles coming out of the front either. Dial the air all the way off, it should start making a gurgling sound as it draws too much water in the intake, then crack the air valve just past the point where the gurgle stops. It should be visibly skimming water silently in the intake. It will start to gurgle again when the intake gets dirty or obstructed. Once you get a feel for it these are unbelievably good skimmers. The best small ones I have ever used. I own 5 com line skimmers as well, this 3rd generation is the best yet but a mother and a half to dissemble for cleaning.
Can you tell me about how many days the skimmer cup is full? I seems to find the point you taught me, the water is being absorbed into the grate.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is variable, I use the 9012DC at home, I am fortunate in that I test new ideas so I have a custom double height cup that was made by gluing two cups together after sawing off the base of one and the top lip of the other. Even this cup though I can fill in a day if I wet skim while carbon dosing which I do time to time if a test shows higher NO3 and PO4 but if I am skimming with a normal setting with the pump turned down to where I get a more dark iced tea then I get a week or so and the cup is filled to the normal height of a regular size cup. My general experience is that you don't really want to go much more than 5 days between cleaning the cup, as even if the cup is not full, the crud caked up in the tube starts to reduce how well the skimmer works. If you want to go longer, the holiday cup 9012.145 was what we made instead of the double heigh cup and it drains to a bucket, if you skim wet, the cake up of crud in the riser tube is much slower so then you can go longer between cleaning.

OP
OP
JamesZ

JamesZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is variable, I use the 9012DC at home, I am fortunate in that I test new ideas so I have a custom double height cup that was made by gluing two cups together after sawing off the base of one and the top lip of the other. Even this cup though I can fill in a day if I wet skim while carbon dosing which I do time to time if a test shows higher NO3 and PO4 but if I am skimming with a normal setting with the pump turned down to where I get a more dark iced tea then I get a week or so and the cup is filled to the normal height of a regular size cup. My general experience is that you don't really want to go much more than 5 days between cleaning the cup, as even if the cup is not full, the crud caked up in the tube starts to reduce how well the skimmer works. If you want to go longer, the holiday cup 9012.145 was what we made instead of the double heigh cup and it drains to a bucket, if you skim wet, the cake up of crud in the riser tube is much slower so then you can go longer between cleaning.
Got it and thanks!

OP
OP
JamesZ

JamesZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Roger, My 9012 kept very noisy after over 2 weeks. How can I get support about this issue? I’m in Canada. Thanks!

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am happy to answer questions and try to diagnose it with videos and pictures of inside the unit (impeller, motor, etc), but the warranty service would be handled by Xenia North America, www.xeniainc.com

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really need to see internals, just an external video won't give me anything new to go by, some details of the pump and impeller inside is what would likely help narrow it down.

OP
OP
JamesZ

JamesZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really need to see internals, just an external video won't give me anything new to go by, some details of the pump and impeller inside is what would likely help narrow it down.
Ok. I will disassemble and take vedios for your review. Thanks!

OP
OP
JamesZ

JamesZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi roger,

I disassembled it now. Can you help see it?

7C8A3EF5-F37E-4372-B1A2-0DCD906C118F.jpeg

ECC2E1A7-4662-4714-ACA8-3C80B9E01D58.jpeg

509A4C2F-08FD-4933-8870-E927894791FE.jpeg

64E25881-E724-426C-BA67-34249EF6CB26.jpeg

B2463EA2-076C-4E33-895B-E92A6F1D6BA3.jpeg

5C3414FF-0761-48C4-A9E9-6B26A258CFE0.jpeg

OP
OP
JamesZ

JamesZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And this frame seems a little different with what you showed in your instruction vedio.

638B131A-26F2-4811-B721-28B60A20C1F7.jpeg

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That back post is only there to secure the pump in shipping, in use it does nothing, it has changed a few times, the earliest models don't have it at all. It can stay in but it is really only there to prevent shipping damage, on the oldest ones with nothing the pump would sometimes unclip and smash up everything inside the skimmer.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything looks right then, my assumption would be the impeller has some sort of defect and is out of balance or out of round and needs to be replaced.

OP
OP
JamesZ

JamesZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Roger

Thanks for [email protected]‘s help I had received and installed the new propeller they sent to me and been running for nearly one week. Unfortunately the noise is the same loud. Can you help see if the motor has defect, as the inside construction is very simple and no other parts can cause the noise? Can it get replaced? Thank you!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 132 74.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%

Back