OP
jonbar1

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AWESOME! I actually have some Amorphophallus titanum, but they are no where near blooming size. I have quite a few species of them, and they all reek of death when they bloom. The plants are themselves are huge, thankfully the blooms are nowhere near the size.

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, didnt know there were different species. any pics you can share? ;)

oh, since you are a flower person. you would be good to ask this question.

so i have yet to successfully get a seed pod out of that fith dimension hibiscus plant. i think it has something to do with the fact its a hybrid. but we may not have the right touch anyways.

i've looked into grafting, but have had no success in that either.

i'm really afraid something is going to happen to it, or it may mysteriously die inside one winter. i really feel like i should have at least 2 or 3 baby *frags* growing in more than one place. ya know?

any suggestions on how to accomplish this?

i may just break down and get a professional to do it if i can pay them to keep a clipping or something.

OP
OP
jonbar1

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just clip a few small branches off, remove a good portion of the leaves, and plant them. After a few weeks they'll root and you have babies. Should be able to google a site on taking cuttings easily enough. Most of the hybrids are either polyploid and/or sterile, not surprised it won't self pollinate.

I've currently got Amorphophallus paeonifolius, seedling titanium, konjac, and bulbifer. Also have the common Typhonion venosum which is very similar. I'll get some pics.

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmph, i've tried taking cuttings, and potted them. but they've always rotted out and died. i must not have the moisture right or something.

Chris2222000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It also helps if you get a heating pad and place the pot on the pad ~ they make ones specifically made for plants and seedlings. I also raise tropicals and soil temperature is a major necessity to grow them from cutting or seed. And also dip the cutting in rootone - found in the garden center.

OP
OP
jonbar1

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they're rotting, you could try rooting a few in water. Just be sure to change the water every day or at least every other day. Once they start growing roots, plant them up as normal.

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've currently got Amorphophallus paeonifolius, seedling titanium, konjac, and bulbifer. Also have the common Typhonion venosum which is very similar. I'll get some pics.

any pics yet? also, where do you get these from? i need some ideas for xmas ;)

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back