My piece of the Reef 300 + gallon system

jen2828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100 gallons would be to small for Achilles. Our Achilles grew from 4" to over 7" now in under 3 years...we're in the process of upgrading to an 8 ft. 300 gallon tank to keep him happy :)

OP
OP
Reefinny

Reefinny

WYSIWYG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update- Blue throat is doing great! I am adding this nem tonight. The purple bubble with green tip one in the pic!

uploadfromtaptalk1401882251398.jpg

dkosdros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tank. I am going to use a few ideas from your set up. I am wondering though since the tank really isn't that mature yet, is it necessary to be running the calcium reactor, carbon, Phosban and what not? I was under the impression you would use those when you start getting a heavy load/well stocked tank with corals & fish. I wasn't planning on purchasing those until later down the line but I am wondering if I need to get them now during my planning and setting up phase.

OP
OP
Reefinny

Reefinny

WYSIWYG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tank. I am going to use a few ideas from your set up. I am wondering though since the tank really isn't that mature yet, is it necessary to be running the calcium reactor, carbon, Phosban and what not? I was under the impression you would use those when you start getting a heavy load/well stocked tank with corals & fish. I wasn't planning on purchasing those until later down the line but I am wondering if I need to get them now during my planning and setting up phase.

Hi thanks - Actually I did not hook them up right away, but started having high Phos so I hooked that up and got it under control and added a decent amount of corals and had to start dosing a 2 part - so I recently hooked up the calcium reactor and have had very stable levels now. I have a slow drip but at this point I want my tank to mature more before I start adding more $$$ Acros... I lost my nicest (and most expensive one)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice!

OP
OP
Reefinny

Reefinny

WYSIWYG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well had a bad avalanche tonight - one rock shifted and my tonga branch slid down - i didn't realize it and hit it with the mag float hard and it knocked it loose which caused a chain reaction. I got the coral moved to the side, gonna drain out some water over the weekend and do a new aquascape. I will post up some pics as it progresses.

OP
OP
Reefinny

Reefinny

WYSIWYG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spent 4 hours on a rescape. Drilled holes used dowels. The way to get the best effects. I will post some more pics once everyone opens back up. But this is one right after. The dust hadn't settled...lol

uploadfromtaptalk1403009751428.jpg

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good!

TriggerThis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow great video.
That rock scape doesn't look that amazing from the front, but when you look from angles on both sides and up close it's crazy three dimensional!

I bet you could have 40 fish in there and they would all still have plenty of places to sleep.

When you get more coals in there on all those shelves and levels I imagine someone could look for hours from all different sides and still see new things.

Great job. I bet you used all the epoxy the store had lol

OP
OP
Reefinny

Reefinny

WYSIWYG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Trigger. Yeah sometimes a picture doesn't do it justice that's why I wanted to do the video. It's mostly drilled with dowels. I did use a decent amount of putty also but It all "locks in" so if 8 need to break down or want to upgrade the tank one day I can get it all out.

TriggerThis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I wish mine was able to be separated.
My fish run into everything soo much I had to super reinforce all rock for fear of eventual collapse

OP
OP
Reefinny

Reefinny

WYSIWYG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to make a new addition. I love the blonde naso. I was also thinking Japanese swallow tail.... Ideas?
Currently have
pair of snowflakes
Scopas Tang
Melanarus Wrasse
Temenikki Wrasse
Blue throat trigger

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 34 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 131 75.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%
Back