My quick review of cor 15

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after 24 hours of my cor 15 running I wanted to give a quick review. The pump is silent to the point I can’t even tell if it’s on! It doesn’t vibrate anything thus leading to a much quieter system. The setup was a breeze in terms of plumbing. Neptune provides some pluming pieces to get you started and I went a spent $10 at Home Depot to make up the rest. My cor is connected to a 1” flex tube return line.

The initial setup of the pump with apex is just as easy. You plug it in and the pump kicks on, then you go to the tasks in your apex and select cor setup. The first step is calibration. This is honestly the longest part as you have to ramp the pump up to where you want to run it normally and then ramp it to the lowest setting you would want. In my case I have it set to run at its lowest setting when in feed mode so it never fully turns off. After that they give you the option to set it to change speeds throughout the day kind of like the same graph as a Vortech mp pump. I chose just to run mine normally at the same intensity all day except for feeding.

All in all so far this is a solid pump and is unbelievably quite. Anyone looking for a high end return pump for a small space in a living area ( have no fish room) this is definitely for you. Let see how it works long term! @Terence

793EF76E-B242-420D-A8D7-0CDF8A8F4D29.jpeg

E402144E-1ACD-47A8-AD44-0DCE56716F68.jpeg

C4F68105-4A3A-4854-A785-089A3877419E.jpeg

5567DDF2-BEDD-4BDC-ADE7-278B30051D05.jpeg

EE3FA2DB-D0B1-4713-9B21-27DFB91C070C.jpeg

0DDCA7B7-4FC7-45FA-9E6F-53B11BEF77E6.png

12272F15-FB39-493A-BE9A-5D23E08CB2C9.png

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The extra union they include is nice but the actual unions, the 3/4" and 1" unions have no side walls. The 3/4" union is roughly 1/3" of an inch deep! I wouldn't trust that to hold at all. I'd be terrified that I'd bump it and cause a leak. I've never seen any fitting not be at least as deep as the diameter of the pipe. I think that was a huge miss on their part and probably why they decided to include the larger union. The output also comes out of a 3/4" wide hole, regardless of how big a union you put on it. Another miss in my book. I'm hoping later revisions include proper unions for the 3/4" and 1" and perhaps a larger output. I really like how Jebao (I know, I know) handles the design. They have like a true 1.5" output that you can fit several sized outputs onto; 1.5", 1.25", 1", 3/4" etc. I think that is better thought out than a 3/4" output that you can screw a 1.5" or 1.25" union onto.

I'm also not crazy about having to break out a hex key to remove the shroud and impeller every time a piece of cheato finds its way in there. I'm a big fan of the newer (and older) pumps that can be field stripped by hand in seconds. If I'm really being honest, an intake screen would have been a nice touch as well. Perhaps they were trying to come in low on the price point? I'm happy paying more for a quality product, which is what Neptune Apex is to me. This I feel felt short of that expectation. I think for an extra $50 (retail) they could have nailed it.

U

User1

View Badges
Nice feedback. Mine came in today but won't be able to hook and power it up until the weekend. Quick tour of the box and I will say it is built Ford tough. Ok, pardon that truck reference but it really is built like a truck. Maybe a tank is a better reference because it is. To put it into perspective I have a Jebao DCT 15000 that I was originally planning on using until I caught wind of the Cor. Night and day difference with regards to quality. In fact, I've only used the DCT 1500 to test the upgrade I'm working on now for a leak check on the tank, sump, and plumbing. Good product, quiet. But it is already busted. The return plumbing, male thread, neck, is separating every so slightly and it should be a solid piece :( Also the handle broke off - it really isn't a handle I guess but they sure made it look like one - busted.

Compare that to the Cor and it is a solid block of ABS or plastic. It just feels it. I connected the various pieces they provided in the box and they all went on smooth, felt snug, tight, and leak free. Oatey Great White pipe joint compound is going to love it (I don't use Teflon). Sure, cleaning maybe an issue like which was mentioned above and the wrench, but they at least included one. More than likely I'll order a second unit anyway to power my skimmer or manifold and use it for a emergency or spare to use while cleaning. Having the skimmer off won't hurt anything and I won't be running media / manifolds 24x7 so it seems a safe security measure.

Other than that - boxed well. Nothing was shaking inside. Maybe include random t-shirts, bubble gum, or even a couple lollipops ;).

OP
OP
LEOreefer

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice feedback. Mine came in today but won't be able to hook and power it up until the weekend. Quick tour of the box and I will say it is built Ford tough. Ok, pardon that truck reference but it really is built like a truck. Maybe a tank is a better reference because it is. To put it into perspective I have a Jebao DCT 15000 that I was originally planning on using until I caught wind of the Cor. Night and day difference with regards to quality. In fact, I've only used the DCT 1500 to test the upgrade I'm working on now for a leak check on the tank, sump, and plumbing. Good product, quiet. But it is already busted. The return plumbing, male thread, neck, is separating every so slightly and it should be a solid piece :( Also the handle broke off - it really isn't a handle I guess but they sure made it look like one - busted.

Compare that to the Cor and it is a solid block of ABS or plastic. It just feels it. I connected the various pieces they provided in the box and they all went on smooth, felt snug, tight, and leak free. Oatey Great White pipe joint compound is going to love it (I don't use Teflon). Sure, cleaning maybe an issue like which was mentioned above and the wrench, but they at least included one. More than likely I'll order a second unit anyway to power my skimmer or manifold and use it for a emergency or spare to use while cleaning. Having the skimmer off won't hurt anything and I won't be running media / manifolds 24x7 so it seems a safe security measure.

Other than that - boxed well. Nothing was shaking inside. Maybe include random t-shirts, bubble gum, or even a couple lollipops ;).
Pretty much my thoughts also, I understand the cleaning gripe but that by no means bothers me. The comfort and reliability of having a pump integrated into a program that you can see in the palm of you hand is very re assuring. Sure its a toss up on long term durability but its not like Neptune makes low grade products. I also plan on purchasing one as a back up maybe in a few months.

U

User1

View Badges
How is yours running? I can't get my Apex to see it in the module listing. When I try to add via tags, cor, cor-15 step two fails - it doesn't find it. Of course, it isn't in the module pane so that makes sense. Neptune is going to send me a new cable. I am not sure I agree that is it but they know their product better. Cable looked fine - I'm thinking it is the head / driver unit.

Unit powered up but I wasn't able to set it or anything. Can't change speeds. Can press the button, left I think, and shut it off but that is about it. Thus me calling / creating a ticket to see what they think. I wish the driver, units, had some form of logging that could help trouble shoot before calling or sending in a email. To me it seems expensive to trouble shoot via UPS by sending in things.

Almost seems to make sense sending multiple items then instruct to replace in this order...and have them send back what isn't needed. Pump is super silent though. I mean freaky silent.

OP
OP
LEOreefer

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is yours running? I can't get my Apex to see it in the module listing. When I try to add via tags, cor, cor-15 step two fails - it doesn't find it. Of course, it isn't in the module pane so that makes sense. Neptune is going to send me a new cable. I am not sure I agree that is it but they know their product better. Cable looked fine - I'm thinking it is the head / driver unit.

Unit powered up but I wasn't able to set it or anything. Can't change speeds. Can press the button, left I think, and shut it off but that is about it. Thus me calling / creating a ticket to see what they think. I wish the driver, units, had some form of logging that could help trouble shoot before calling or sending in a email. To me it seems expensive to trouble shoot via UPS by sending in things.

Almost seems to make sense sending multiple items then instruct to replace in this order...and have them send back what isn't needed. Pump is super silent though. I mean freaky silent.
Mine has been running well, the only issue I have is when I put my tank into feed mode when feed mode times out everything turns back on but my cor will not rev back up to normal speed. I need to turn the pump off to get it to kick back to full speed. I havnt reached out to neptune about it yet @Terence

matmos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I'm pretty noob in plumbing :/
I'm also planning on using a 1" flex tubing but I'm wondering how will I make it work with their 1 1/4 union ?
What other piece did u buy in order to make it work ?

Tks in advance

U

User1

View Badges
Hi
I'm pretty noob in plumbing :/
I'm also planning on using a 1" flex tubing but I'm wondering how will I make it work with their 1 1/4 union ?
What other piece did u buy in order to make it work ?

Tks in advance

I am using 1" plumbing, PVC pipe though, not flex or flex PVC, and just went to the local hardware store. I took the union with me and found an adapter to 1" and that is it. Union use allows me to remove for maintenance or replacement. I'm guessing if you went with flex line it would be the same but you would attach a barb fitting. I think the image above shows the barb to flex.

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NO! No barb for flex PVC. You want a "bushing" a 1 1/4" to 1" bushing. It's essentially an adapter that fits into the 1.25" union and has a 1" opening down the middle of it. This effectively turns the 1.25" union into one with a one inch opening at the top that you can glue the flex PVC into.

PhilT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Know this is old thread but I just Installed a cor15.
Mine says watt 24, 2804 rpm, 51 temp.Running at100%

why is your wattage so high?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back