OP
OP
K

klavmaister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but everything has been ok for several weeks after the test results, it was around 24 hours ago that things suddenly took a turn for the worse, and seriously fast today thank god for home office and big water changes. this went quickly

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mentioned nickel in the first post but do not show nickel results. The tungsten, tin and chloride results you have shown are not likely killing corals.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tin is a hard element to pin down due to the many chemical forms that may be present with different toxicity, but many folks show values similar to yours without apparent problems.

It may be coming from plastics, where it is used as a heat stabilizer.

BigMonkeyBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
K

klavmaister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A buddy alsow say, i think you have dinos. But if dinos kill corals, how to I solve it? Activ caebon? And then kill it

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm. it can be dino, I've had cyano not too long ago. How do you handle this? didn't think Dino's algae killed corals. typically, I'm going on vacation tomorrow morning.
The dinos once there's very little nutrients they can go predator and release toxins to kill off competitors.
The toxins is what will kill live stock. To further downfall of the coral there's no nutrients for the Zooxanthellae (also a species of dinoflagellates) this furthering the spiral down.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell the trumpet may have bjd but it's hard to tell

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You said you recently HAD cyano? Did you use a chemical to kill it? If so, that is probably where the dinos came from, they assumed the vacuum left.

BigMonkeyBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said you recently HAD cyano? Did you use a chemical to kill it? If so, that is probably where the dinos came from, they assumed the vacuum left.
Maybe - I have not seen this myself. If you are feeding the zero or low PO4 and NO3 should not be a problem, they have to be made and used.

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Maybe - I have not seen this myself. If you are feeding the zero or low PO4 and NO3 should not be a problem, they have to be made and used.
I have areas of dinos that popped up in nitrate 20+ phosphate .2+ conditions confirmed under microscope. Zero nutrients are the most common causes but other shifts can bring them out. This is some diatoms mixed in since I started dosing sodium silicate about a week ago. The only change in my system in the last two months was switching carbon dosing from night to day and also started All for Reef. No water changes, parameters stable and nutrients high.

Attachments

• IMG_0297.jpg
    IMG_0297.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 20

BigMonkeyBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have areas of dinos that popped up in nitrate 20+ phosphate .2+ conditions confirmed under microscope. Zero nutrients are the most common causes but other shifts can bring them out. This is some diatoms mixed in since I started dosing sodium silicate about a week ago. The only change in my system in the last two months was switching carbon dosing from night to day and also started All for Reef. No water changes, parameters stable and nutrients high.
I have had zero PO4 and NO3 in my frag tank for nine months. I have three fish and had three soft corals before the addition of twenty new frags. I feed my tank well and now have checked with new Hanna's, still zero. I have green turf algae.

I have added a couple of drops of F2 fert I use to feed my algae tanks and I get diatoms for a day or two.

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have had zero PO4 and NO3 in my frag tank for nine months. I have three fish and had three soft corals before the addition of twenty new frags. I feed my tank well and now have checked with new Hanna's, still zero. I have green turf algae.

I have added a couple of drops of F2 fert I use to feed my algae tanks and I get diatoms for a day or two.
Yep, stability often matters more than numbers.

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it’s affecting multiple types of coral, guessing not a predator. Probably toxin or chemistry, if it were me I’d be doing a ton of water changes and running carbon, striving for 100% turnover in a week. Curious if your nitrate and phosphate is bottomed out.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back