Got the blues
20190509_212743.jpeg

jk_s124

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful! I’m slowly picking up equipment to upgrade to a 40 breeder. Planning next fall to have it set up. I love your aquascaping, and your corals look like they are doing wonderful. Good luck with the Dino’s! I’m following along and picking up a lot of helpful information. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
mshonk

mshonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful! I’m slowly picking up equipment to upgrade to a 40 breeder. Planning next fall to have it set up. I love your aquascaping, and your corals look like they are doing wonderful. Good luck with the Dino’s! I’m following along and picking up a lot of helpful information. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks I really do appreciate it. I was checking out you're 29g. It looks great as well. Sorry about the RTN but manual dosing is tough. If you didn't pick up a foser yet I have been using 2 of the Jebao DP-3s for about a year and knock on wood they have been doing well and only were around $65 each. I started with a 29g tank in March of last year and switched to the breeder in September. Phenomenal tank to use.

The boil rodi method seems to be working on the dinos. I was reluctant to do it being that the dinos release toxins but I realized other treatments have worked successfully while killing the dinos so I just make sure to do small sections at a time and keep the flow high. I will get some pics to document a before and after. I have a feeling I have excess silicates. Not test to verify just pineapple sponges. Usually they fade away after a bit but I still have em.

OP
OP
mshonk

mshonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Borealis
Pearlberry
Green Gecko
Spongodes
Scripps
Tricolor Granulosa
Red Planet
Sour Apple BN
Green stylo

Are all ORA.

OP
OP
mshonk

mshonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I plan on moving my tank from my office to my basement. My ph has been hitting 8.6 from cyano taking over the dinos and consumeing the co2. At first I was happy about it the cyano beating out the dinos but now there is die back on some of my sps. I turned the skimmer off and will be getting some chemiclean today. Currently the ph is resting at 8.4 so hopefully that will lower before the lights come on and stay there. I will also be adding a frag tank in the process of the whole move. All other params are on point. Alk 7.5, ca 420, mg 1350, temp 79.2, salinity 1.026, po4 .05 -.07, no3 4-8ppm, i .06, k 420, fe 0. I sent an icp test out and it should arrive on Friday. Hopefully it is just the ph. I have been using the trace colors from red sea. Might just stop now. We will see what the icp says.

cain720

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love your tank. I started a 40 breeder setup about 6 months ago which I'm slowly transitioning to SPS dominated.

Have you had any shading issues with your LED? I've noticed that my acros that aren't directly under my fixture mostly encrust towards the light. I'm not sure how this will effect them as they grow into colonies, but I figured I might eventually need to supplement my Photon V2 with a couple Kessils for better front-to-back coverage.

OP
OP
mshonk

mshonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love your tank. I started a 40 breeder setup about 6 months ago which I'm slowly transitioning to SPS dominated.

Have you had any shading issues with your LED? I've noticed that my acros that aren't directly under my fixture mostly encrust towards the light. I'm not sure how this will effect them as they grow into colonies, but I figured I might eventually need to supplement my Photon V2 with a couple Kessils for better front-to-back coverage.
Thanks! I think it actually depends on the coral. Some go to the light others away from the flow and some towards it. Though it could be a combo of light and flow. As for shading i set my rockwork up to limit that. I also utilize the the light's dispersement to allow for some lps to grow around the edges.

OP
OP
mshonk

mshonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The low boy? What light are you planning on using?
Probably just getting to viparspectras. I have a similar model and it give me the par I want but i haven't made it that far yet. Still deciding if I am going to plumb it into the existing system and skip the cycle or keep a seperate system. I will save a bunch if I just run one system. It was a used low boy acrylic

OP
OP
mshonk

mshonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chemiclean is in. Also dawned on me that the ph may be ok and its the seneye slide thats off. Ph pattern is still the same but I recently put in a new slide. Api test said 8.4 not 8.6.

OP
OP
mshonk

mshonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chemiclean worked like a charm and haven't ran my skimmer i almost a week because of the high ph. My seneye says my disolved o2 is ok so I am not too worried. Also starting to build the stand for the frag tank.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back