My tank!

kasik64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a newb here, but worth entering the contest! It's in its ugly phase so filter is needed!

#reef2reef #mywwccontest #worldwidecorals

IMG_3241.JPG

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say ugly phase. Do you mean brown algae? If so a nice little fighting conch goes a long way. Cleaned my 40B in 4 days. What are your plans for fish? I see you have a helfrichi firefish. Nice choice. I went with the grammica lined dartfish.

20170219_101631.jpg

OP
OP
kasik64

kasik64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say ugly phase. Do you mean brown algae? If so a nice little fighting conch goes a long way. Cleaned my 40B in 4 days. What are your plans for fish? I see you have a helfrichi firefish. Nice choice. I went with the grammica lined dartfish.

20170219_101631.jpg

Yes brown algae and diatoms. Adding a turbo seemed to help, I may add another one today just because I don't feel my one turbo is enough. And yes I do have a firefish. He is a cool little dude. I will post a picture when I turn my lights on today. Doing a gallon water change later to see if I can get my nitrates down to a safe level.

I can barely see your little guy in the blue. Nice camouflage! [emoji225]

My plans for fish are 2 clowns and a Boston bean fish (eventually). I wanted a cowfish but they get big and are toxic when stressed. ☹️ I would also like to add quite a few corals, a shrimp, and maybe a clam or sea urchin!

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pretty much have all of those. Turbo snails in my experience 1/10. Conch 8/10. Clam you need a big tank for. Some get up to 2 feet and the only 1 clam that gets up to 6 inches I would make sure it is over 3 inches. Clams are very hard to keep at a juvenile stage from what I gathered. Plus a small tank runs a higher risk of changes in temp and everything else. tuxedo urchin is cool. Woke up today with him carrying the suction cup and wire to my digital thermometer across the tank haha! I will recommend a spotted mandarin that eats frozen food before you buy it.

FB_IMG_1488037030919.jpg

20170217_174510.jpg

OP
OP
kasik64

kasik64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a better pic of Ace(grammica line Dartfish 'Ace in the hole') & Bee(Spotted Mandarin 'hovers around like a bee or a humming bird'). Turned the coral+, 2xblue+, & actinic t5 lights on.

20170225_120000.jpg

20170225_115844.jpg

20170225_115351.jpg

Oh how I would love a mandarin goby!! I heard you have to wait a year before getting one, but I would love to have one!! Worth the wait if it is true.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool firefish. I had a 20g last year. He was my 2nd fish after 2 months. The trick is target feeding. Make a semi dead spot in a corner. Use a turkey baster to slowly drop it in front of him or her. The cube of frozen cut into 4s. Mine eats brine, mysis w/spirulina, blood worms, fine cut fresh scallop shrimp clam from the market. Freeze the rest. Feed 3x a day if you can. 2 for sure. Just make sure you visually see it eat it before you buy it. the green or red forget it. You would need a established refugium. Also a drop or 2 in the food w/ vita chem marine formula once in the Morning while the food thaws in a cup of tank water.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kasik64

kasik64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool firefish. I had a 20g last year. He was my 2nd fish after 2 months. The trick is target feeding. Make a semi dead spot in a corner. Use a turkey baster to slowly drop it in front of him or her. The cube of frozen cut into 4s. Mine eats brine, mysis w/spirulina, blood worms, fine cut fresh scallop shrimp clam from the market. Freeze the rest. Feed 3x a day if you can. 2 for sure. Just make sure you visually see it eat it before you buy it. the green or red forget it. You would need a established refugium. Also a drop or 2 in the food w/ vita chem marine formula once in the Morning while the food thaws in a cup of tank water.

Thanks for the tip! I will look into having my LFS order me one in!

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tip! I will look into having my LFS order me one in!
Male has the pointed top fin. Good luck with it. They become way better hunters after a year. They can actually track down food floating by. One thing about mine. He has no concept of personal space. He will drag his tail fin across a fishes face like whatever coming through. Didn't see you, feel you, or care to look if that bothered you.

OP
OP
kasik64

kasik64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your thoughts on dragonet blenny vs mandarin goby? Which one would sift my rocks better? What is the difference?

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your thoughts on dragonet blenny vs mandarin goby? Which one would sift my rocks better? What is the difference?
Honestly I have no experience with them. So I don't want to misinform you. I will say this about the ONLY LFS owner I can trust. He said he has never had a problem with a spotted/target dragonet. He would not sell me a green or red, because he is not in it for just the money. I do believe when I was looking at the ruby red dragonet the week before I bought the spotted. He would have recommended it and sold it to me right away if he felt like they were going to be a no problem deal for me, but he didn't. When I bought the spotted. I was actually cashing out with a Randall Prawn goby and a red saddle back. I asked do you have any dragonets eating frozens? With the utmost confidence. "Yeah all my spotteds do." He had a ruby red, red, and scooter blennies. Red and green mandarin. Didn't mention them. So from that experience. That is all I got for ya. That and a 1year old target mandarin buzzing around my tank like a humming bird/bee as we speak fat and happy.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back