My way of curing Ich

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove the fish and place in a quarantine tank. Do not add any sand but do add live or dry for the fish to hide in. Place a heater and keep the temperature at 80 degrees farenheight. Keep the lights on a low and only feed garlic added foods or soak frozen food with Garlic Xtreme by Kent Marine or Garlic Guard by Seachem. I reccomend using Copper Power as the medicine to treat ich as it works well and I've had great success especially with Tangs. Run good flow and don't use any carbon or activated carbon in the filter for the quarantine. I reccomend using sponge filters or just running a pump instead of a filter. Keep the fsh fed. Keep them in the quarantine tank for about 4-8 weeks based on the health of the fish and then see if there are any ich signs remaining. After the signs are gone remain keeping the fish in quarantine for about 2 more weeks just to be on the safe side. Also lowering salinity in your quarantine to 2.018 will slow the ich process of reproducing down. However lower the salinity of your quarantine while the fish are in it. Do not lower and then add the fish. Your fish may be in shock and stress out even more if you do. If your tank is overstocked and your quarantine contains alot of fish i recommend running two quarantine tanks. Now you will have high nitrates and nitrites do to no bacteria and pollution of your quarantine that is fine just dose Stability by Seachem and always test your water quality.​

Marshall O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of comments:

-Adding rock is usually not recommended when treating with copper, as it will absorb copper, making it difficult to reach the appropriate levels. Instead, use pieces of PVC.

-Temp - the lower the better. In a tank with likely too many fish, oxygen is a definite concern. The higher the tank temperature, the lower the dissolved oxygen in the water. Same with fish's metabolism; the higher the temp, the faster the metabolism, which means you will need to feed more. I recommend 75-76°F.

-I have never used Copper Power, but have used Cupramine. I would avoid treating sensitive fish with copper. This includes Wrasses. A preferred method would be tank transfer IMO.

-Sponge filters - good advice. Keep one running in your DT all of the time, and transfer over to your HT as needed. This will help seed the tank.

-Timeline - It should be noted you need to keep your DT fallow (free of fish) for 9-10 weeks. This will insure your DT is free of Ich.

Back