other recommendations?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You ask I'll answer......... Ecotech Marine MP40 QD

Don't get me wrong, Tunze and the maxspect are awesome pumps too, I just like the vortech a lot better.
As long you make a decision between the three you will be good.

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You ask I'll answer......... Ecotech Marine MP40 QD

Don't get me wrong, Tunze and the maxspect are awesome pumps too, I just like the vortech a lot better.
As long you make a decision between the three you will be good.
how many pumps for a 75 gal 2 ?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least two mp40's should do it.

I'd rock the Turbelle® nanostream® 6055's, myself. There's no pump that's more flexible or aim-able than the nanostreams, and the 6055 can generate better flow speeds than most other comparable pumps.* And if you wanted to hide it, they make a ceramic "live rock" Nanostream® Rock cover for it! :)

I think adding a pair of Turbelle® nanostream® 6040's ($140/ea) or Turbelle® nanostream® 6045's ($78/ea) along with the 6055's would be interesting too.

For what it's worth, a set of four 6045's would also be a great non-controllable flow solution for your 75G.

* Check out my post from a little bit ago in the Gyre flow question thread.

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't mean to jump the thread, but what configuration of nanostreams would you recommend for 75G euphyllia (no sps) dominate tank?

Would a single Gyre 230 work ?

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't mean to jump the thread, but what configuration of nanostreams would you recommend for 75G euphyllia (no sps) dominate tank?

Would a single Gyre 230 work ?
no worries.. i am thinking d=same thing, but i am leaning towards 2 nanostream 6055. Overall you can do much more with them over the Gyre.

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least two mp40's should do it.

I'd rock the Turbelle® nanostream® 6055's, myself. There's no pump that's more flexible or aim-able than the nanostreams, and the 6055 can generate better flow speeds than most other comparable pumps.* And if you wanted to hide it, they make a ceramic "live rock" Nanostream® Rock cover for it! :)

I think adding a pair of Turbelle® nanostream® 6040's ($140/ea) or Turbelle® nanostream® 6045's ($78/ea) along with the 6055's would be interesting too.

For what it's worth, a set of four 6045's would also be a great non-controllable flow solution for your 75G.

* Check out my post from a little bit ago in the Gyre flow question thread.
don't you think 4 pumps in a 75 gal tank is a bit overkill ?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose it depends what you're after, but no I don't. :) I've always run between two and four (two currently)...sometimes more...almost always in a "tide simulation" where the pump(s) on one side run for a few hours and then the system switches to the pump(s) on the other side of the tank for a few hours.

More flow pumps is almost always better than fewer and the 6045's are small. With four, you still have two pumps running during each half of the tide simulation – maximum flexibility, yet plenty of power. :)

It's not the only way to go, but that's how I do it. ;)

(I run 6095's+6045's+6020 on my other tank, and it's only 50 gallons. :D)

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not how much flow you get it's the variety of flow through out the whole tank.
I have 4 QD on my LPS tank now that are programmed through the APEX fusion at several modes include the nutrient mode twice a day.
They are set on only 35% of the max but with my SPS they were rocking 100%.

p7willm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Tunze 6040s and they are fine. Except when I want (need) to clean them. The cable is attached to the pump on one end and to the controller on the other. In order to get the pump to the kitchen sink to clean it I need to get a cable with large lumps on each end out of the rats nest of other cables around my tank. If I had it to do again I would pick a pump that was easier to get out to clean. The echotec are the easiest, and I think the gyre unplugs from the controller.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 31 38.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 33 40.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back