Nassarius? Or snail murdering whelk?

Aeiyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey gang, ugh. Second post today, but since me livestock arrived today I've noticed the dormant/adjusting trochus snails are being assaulted by the nassarius snails I received. Is this common?

Two trochus where kind of lazily out of the shell and a crab pushed them off a rock to the sanded. No fewer than 3 of the nassarius erupted from the sand to crawl all over it, even covering the hole like one was reaching inside to eat it.

And just not, I caught one of the nassarioud up on a rock, cramming itself into a trochus shell with the trochus pushed so far inside its not visible.

These Nassarius have also been active and all over my glass. Pictures posted. I did some digging, and now I'm worried they sent me a pack of murder whelks.

20230614_213746.jpg 20230614_213757.jpg

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank and sand looks very new and clean . The Nassarious snails don’t have anything to eat which is probably why they are all over the snail . I would put food in the sand for them to eat ASAP

OP
OP
A

Aeiyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank and sand looks very new and clean . The Nassarious snails don’t have anything to eat which is probably why they are all over the snail . I would put food in the sand for them to eat ASAP
i dropped in half a cube of mysis and a cube of baby brine earlier. All of it went to the inverts tonight as the two clowns are not eating as they adjust from the move. I allowed the mysis to settle but perhaps i'll just drop the other half cube in or push it directly into the sand befor i crash tonight. i can always kick up the rest in the AM and let the floss take care of it or vacuum it out.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back