Nasty Squirrels

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last year squirrels got under my solar panels and ate through my roof shingles and the tar paper. They also ate completely through a bunch of the copper cables forcing me to remove some of the panels and re wire most of the system.

I repaired the roof and replaced the cables. Then I installed gutter guard which you are supposed to put on your gutters to prevent leaves from clogging the things.

This week I noticed a squirrel on my roof and he was snarling at me. I didn't realize squirrels could snarl but this guy looked like a wolf and I am sure if he was bigger, he would have taken off my leg and fed it to his young. I was worried that he found a way through my steel mesh so I went up there today to check it out. (In two days I am having some hand surgery and won't be able to get up there for at least three weeks.) So I climb up on the roof expecting to see that the squirrel found a way to get through my defenses. But he didn't.
Instead, he was trying to eat through the aluminum roof vent. He managed to make two holes in each vent and if I didn't find it, eventually he would have gnawed all the way through and gotten into my attic. Here it is after I closed the hole. You can see his teeth marks all over the thing.

Now I screwed guttar guard around the top of the roof vents. They really hate that and seem to have a problem gnawing through that stuff.
They must think they are dealing with an amateur. :D

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you put a dab of silicone over each hole before you screwed it on? I sympathize with you I hate squirrels they destroy everything. If you can, keep a bb/pellet gun handy.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have so many squirrels here that I would have to get a gattling BB gun. I really don't want to kill the thing, just maybe use some racial slurs on him like "Hey your Mother was a rodent" . Or maybe ruin his credit rating.
If they let me take one of these home from Nam, I could have fixed this problem.

ironeagle2006

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a good Cat they will take care of the Fuzzy tails in a hurry. My mother had a pair that well lets just say between the pair of them cleared a 5 square block area of all Fuzzy tails out.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like squirrels better than cats. I also have a cat in my yard that keeps eating the birds at my feeder. I am working on a fix for him and so far I think it is working as I have not seen him for a few days.
Too bad they don't sell Komodo Dragons as that would solve both problems

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here in New York we don't eat those rodents which is a shame because it is about the only wild life we have, except for a bunch of Wierdo's in lower Manhattan. :eek:

ironeagle2006

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you do not like kitty then do what my uncle did. He rigged up his feeder with weight sensor anything heavier than 1 ounce and the thing would shock via an Electric Cattle Fence anything that touched it. It worked great until he forgot to unhook the fence transformer one day when he went to fill it. He couldn't walk right for a week however his heartbeat went back to normal.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The squirrels don't eat the birds on the feeder, they wait until the seeds fall to the ground and the birds sit on the ground eating it. I was an electrician for 40 years so I am well versed on shocking small animals, and terrorists. :eek:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should read, the Cat doesn't eat the birds, not the squirrel. :eek:

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple solution.. Fried squirrels and gravy, it just doesn't get any better than that :D

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here in New York we don't eat those rodents. I prefer oysters on the half shell. :D

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I would prefer oysters on the half shell anyday over fried squirrels I woult not pass on them that easy. Lots of gravy some hot sauce and cold beer..................... wait did someone say beer.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a cat in my yard that keeps eating the birds at my feeder. I am working on a fix for him and so far I think it is working as I have not seen him for a few days.
Too bad they don't sell Komodo Dragons as that would solve both problems

May I ask what you are doing to the cat? Is it legal to let cats roam free there? I didn't realize that was even such a thing anymore, but here they are allowed outside! Son of a GUN!!!

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not doing anything to the cat that I wouldn't do to myself. I sprayed the area with a lemon scent and put lemons and onions around. I think that is legal in my town and may even grow a lemon tree by accident. :D

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try anything at this point. I haven't tried lemon and onion. It'll go nice with the vinegar I have sprayed everywhere.

ironeagle2006

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try some Cayenne pepper they hate that also. For the squirrels to stop them spread some Hot sauce on what you want to stop them from getting on Tabasco works best. If that don't stop them get your hands on some Ghost peppers and spread them around however wear freaking gloves. Ghost peppers are over 1 million Scholville units each. Mix that into a paste it will drive them away. My neighbor uses that on his Garden to stop the Fuzzy tails and nothing bothers it even deer.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 13.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 32.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%

Back