Natural Gas Heat

Jangel9210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,
I'm currently new to the hobby and I'm having major problems with my tank. Temp stays at 77-80, ammonia/nitrite/nitrate stays at minimal levels and is 0 after water changes. I use LED lighting. I have a protein skimmer. SG is 1.025-1.027. Top off every day. My question is does natural gas heat in a house affect things that we don't normally test for? pH of the tank is always 8.2-8.4 so I wouldn't imagine it's CO2 dissolving. Can other things cause problems? Our natural gas comes straight from an oil well. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Natural gas heat should have zero impact on a reef tank. The fumes (including all CO2 from it) should not enter the home unless there is a defect, or you are heating with an unvented fireplace or similar device.

What problems are you having?

OP
OP
J

Jangel9210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a shrimp die, a dottyback, four acans started to die (gave them to a friend to nurse back to health). Anything I put in the tank dies. My first two fish that I put in early feb. Have been alive until today. My coral beauty died this morning. I still have a green chromis.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to have your heater checked for co2 or you can buy a co2 detector for your home which everyone should have. Natural gas heaters will dry out the air more but that's not a issue.

eeyore357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RODI water? Water surface agitation? Open top, screen top, or glass top? Not using any cleaning supplies near the tank? Run carbon in the tank? Just thinking if there's something in the water carbon might help to pull it out.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 14 12.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back