OP
sawdonkey

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am with the good Dr on this one. The only time I get diatoms is when there are too high of silicates in my water. If you have a silicate test kit then there you go,otherwise don't do any water changes and watch them disappear. Sure its not cyano?

I don't think it's cyano, because it is just dusty and not matted or stringy.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it look like this?
6a066b2ac42f28b5ae255e228e08b664.jpg

OP
OP
sawdonkey

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it look like this?
6a066b2ac42f28b5ae255e228e08b664.jpg

Yeah, pretty much.

I'll get a pic with lights on tomorrow.

Honestly, it's not that bad. If I vacuum my gravel, it goes away for nearly a week. I just hate the look of it.

Also, I'm not sure of the gravel brand name because I got it three years ago. It looks about like yours though.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I and several others are having a similar issue. Me personally for going on 2yrs. I've pretty much eliminated it being a water issue, 0 TDS and silicate test 0. Dosing nothing but BRS 2 part.
The longer I go without a WC, the more it clears up, but doesn't totally go away. Any disturbance of the SB causes it to "flare" up so to speak.

Brand is CaribSea Arga-Live Fiji Pink.

Doesn't bother anything in the tank. But it is a real eyesore [emoji45]

Birddog

Hooked on Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly doubt it's diatoms.
Elaborate please?

I have the identical problem with high quality water, new RO membrane, carbon blocks, DI resin 0TDS. Diatoms a constant problem and if I dare to touch my sand bed the problem just gets worse. I've tried vacuuming the SB, not vacuuming, regular water changes and going a month without a water change. Just tagging along and can't wait to here the thoughts of Breakthecycle! Could it be the sand... Fiji Pink?

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms are only silicate feeders. Unless you have silicates in your water or have recently added new sand for example, you should not have diatoms. I had the same thing in an older tank. Let me ask you are either of you using Tropic Eden Reef Flakes as sand?

OP
OP
sawdonkey

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms are only silicate feeders. Unless you have silicates in your water or have recently added new sand for example, you should not have diatoms. I had the same thing in an older tank. Let me ask you are either of you using Tropic Eden Reef Flakes as sand?

My "sand" is three years old, so undone remember what I used. It looks similar to reef flakes though.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the identical problem with high quality water, new RO membrane, carbon blocks, DI resin 0TDS. Diatoms a constant problem and if I dare to touch my sand bed the problem just gets worse. I've tried vacuuming the SB, not vacuuming, regular water changes and going a month without a water change. Just tagging along and can't wait to here the thoughts of Breakthecycle! Could it be the sand... Fiji Pink?

Have you read my thread, CaribSea Arga-Live Fiji Pink?

OP
OP
sawdonkey

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my JF Bonsai has been STNing for about three weeks and my PC Rainbow started the same thing. Both from the center of the colony. I ran a full test of parameters and much to my surprise, NO3 was 25+. So this probably explains the STN.

I run bio pellets and I've always been more concerned with low nutrients than high, so I rarely test NO3. I'm not sure how this got away from me, but info feed pretty heavy. I'm guessing this is causing the STN and surely isn't helping with my diatom problem.

I'm doing a water change today and I'll be cutting back on feeding for a while. Then I'll reassess the diatom issue. Here's my latest parameters.

cc54bc1d27db27faa70470fcbec4499f.jpg

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 21 15.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 90 68.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back