Need help diagnose and treatment. White spot on fin

Greyskull_714

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, just like title says. Video shows spots on dorsal fin. I noticed the first one a day or so ago but now I see 2 spots. What should I do? Fish eats and is in my QT. TIA

Attachments

• IMG_5155.mov
    41.3 MB
Last edited:

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t see the video - could you repost as a YouTube link?
A white spot multiplying typically sounds like ich, but I would need to see it to confirm.
Since it’s in qt, no reason not to start copper treatment.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What quarantine method are you using?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could actually be the start of lympho - it’s pretty common in new angels and is harmless.
That said, it’s still best to go through standard qt protocol and treat with prazi and copper to cover for ich, velvet, and flukes.

OP
OP
G

Greyskull_714

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Method? Im not sure, sorry Im relatively new. But I dont use any meds at the moment. QT temp is 79-80. I hope that is helpful

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Method? Im not sure, sorry Im relatively new. But I dont use any meds at the moment. QT temp is 79-80. I hope that is helpful
I would follow the recommended link I posted then. This is the procedure given to us by the person who previously ran the Shedd aquarium in Chicago and currently the Toledo Zoo.

OP
OP
G

Greyskull_714

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could actually be the start of lympho - it’s pretty common in new angels and is harmless.
That said, it’s still best to go through standard qt protocol and treat with prazi and copper to cover for ich, velvet, and flukes.
Ive heard Flame Angels are sensitive to copper so I chose not to use it. But doing a quick search some have issue with Prazi and Flames. Would you wait it out and see what happens with the fish or start the prazi?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive heard Flame Angels are sensitive to copper so I chose not to use it. But doing a quick search some have issue with Prazi and Flames. Would you wait it out and see what happens with the fish or start the prazi?
I’ve put coral beauties and currently a flameback through copper - as long as you dose properly it should be fine. Like mentioned, copper power or coppersafe shouldn’t have any issues.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you like to use to test copper?
In the past I used the salifert, but found that it wasn’t really good with the concentration being tested at (it only goes up to 2 ppm accurately and it needs to be at 2.25).
I moved over to the Hanna - it’s expensive but worth it for accuracy. Not so bad if you get it used.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It could likely be lymphocystis or perhaps a fin injury? - depending on the exact timing etc. If it is changing (i.e. 20 more spots tomorrow) - it would be more likely to be a parasite infection like Ich as compared to the benign lymphocystis

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The spot on the dorsal fin is too large to be ich, and flukes won't show as spots. This is, as mentioned, either the start of Lymphocystis, or it is a banged up fin ray from running into something.

Flame angels are sensitive to ionic copper, but not amine-chelated copper like Coppersafe. There isn't any specific issue with them and prazi - you just need to aerate the tank well when dosing that. People neglect to do that and then run into issues.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back