Need help starting a 30g cube sps tank

coraljunky25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting a 30g oceanic cube.First will a 250 1400k and 2 18" t5 actinics be to much light if i hang it 10" off the tank?Second would a CPR bak pac skimmer be a good skimmer for it?Going all SPS in this tank and this is the last shot sticks get with me.I've put them in my 75 gallon and they die but i can put in a LPS or zoa and they grow like crazy.so i decided to build a new tank for them(they say every tank is different so here we go).
Any answers will be great help right now and much appreciated thanks. Will post pics tommorow after i tear it down and move it.

Speg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every tank is different....in my opinion, a smaller tank will be more difficult for sticks and will leave you much less room for error.

I think that light will be fine over that tank. Just be careful when first introducing the livestock as you'll want to start them lower and move them up over time to avoid browning them out/killing them.

Do check out the sponsor here "In Tank" I think it is..they have those lazer cut media chambers and would be awesome for the back wall of a biocube....that will be a great spot to place carbon and phosban (if you choose)...but I would suggest at least carbon.

Have you decided on sand or no sand? With such a small tank, I would personally go no sand since you're doing SPS only....

And have you decided on flow?

As far as your bak pac skimmer: I haven't heard a lot of great stories about that particular type of skimmer, but it certainly beats that little point of sale biocube skimmer that is sold for the biocube systems.

Also, start with some easier SPS and work your way up...go very slowly to make sure that everything is working out fine....

One last bit of advice: Consider skipping dosing and do small (.5-1 gallon) water changes daily/every other day. I think you'll get some excellent results by doing the water changes rather than dosing....and be sure to not get over sized fish for the little system...

Good luck!

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back