Need Help with Sick Fish

EricTheRed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody,

I have a Chevron Tang purchased 3 days ago that went straight into QT. (Had to be a Chevron and not some $5 damsel!!)It is not eating and is swimming very erradically, like doing barrel-rolls. It's mouth is stuck wide open. The tank is medicated with prazi & metro and also Cupramine. The first day I had the fish it was acting normal. I even saw it try to eat. On day 2 I added the Cupramine (per instruction). I don't know if it is related to the Cupramine or if the timing is coincidence.

Here's the sysmtoms -

No visible spots on skin/gills
Breathing heavy
Mouth stuck wide open
Lost appetite
Lays on bottom of tank most of the time
Occasionally swims and when he does it is erradic, did a few barrel rolls, swims like he's drunk

This QT is fully cycled. I just had a Regal Angel in there for 60 days and also added a Christmas Wrasse on the same day as the Chevron. The wrasse is perfect. I tested ammonia and it is zero. Nitrates were about 15-20 ppm, but I've been feeding often to see if he'll take some food. I did a 20% wc this am, fwiw.

Anyone help with a diagnosis? Could it be a reaction to the Cupramine....?

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance of too much med dose? IMO (I'd run fresh carbon asap to remove anything in the water column that might be causing his illness). I only treat my qt fish if needed. Also, are you running a grounding probe?

Country Boy using tapatalk on his EVO

OP
OP
EricTheRed

EricTheRed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I deworm all fish and treat all tangs with copper and I've never seen this happen before. Unless someone can sugest a disease then I'm going to assume it is a bad reaction to one of the meds and run carbon.

Anyone else with any disease related ideas?

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:( Unfortunately, I think this was a reaction to the meds. Cupramine can be harsh for many fish.

Back