Need help with wave maker placement and setting!

cuzzoo3345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi , my name is cuzzoo. I’m new to reefing but enjoying it very much!! I’ve had my 20 gal setup for about three months now. I’ve got two fish , two shrimp , ten snails , three hermits , two hitchhiker crabs ( emerald crabs I think ) that I haven’t identified yet and can’t get a good picture of , another hitchhiker that’s just starting to pop out a hole in the KP Aquatics live rock and six coral. My hammer started to open up good then I glued it to a frag plug and it hasn’t really opened back up. Rock flower anemone not really doing much. Both zoa frags are opened up sometimes and sometimes they’re closed up. Acan is doing pretty well and so are both of mushrooms. I got another wave maker that the settings can be adjusted and really need help with some good setting ideas? Both wave makers are Hygger , one is just one setting with an off on switch. The other is the Hygger cross flow wave pump HG070 - 12W. Any help , advice is much appreciated!!

OP
OP
C

cuzzoo3345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also cope pods are starting to show all over the bottom three inches around the glass of my tank. I used Dr Tim’s One and Only when I first setup my tank also

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 wave pumps in a 20g might be overkill but basically you want them on opposite ends with alternating varied flow. Put them about 3 inches below the water line so you get nice surface ripple for gas exchange.

OP
OP
C

cuzzoo3345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 wave pumps in a 20g might be overkill but basically you want them on opposite ends with alternating varied flow. Put them about 3 inches below the water line so you get nice surface ripple for gas exchange.
I did not even think about two being over kill! I’ll probably just remove the off / on switch one since I kinda broke it a little bit and that’s the whole reason I bought the second one , plus I wanted one that could be adjusted. Thank you very much for your advice!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not even think about two being over kill! I’ll probably just remove the off / on switch one since I kinda broke it a little bit and that’s the whole reason I bought the second one , plus I wanted one that could be adjusted. Thank you very much for your advice!
Yea just point the one straight across the tank and it will bounce off the opposite side wall and give you swells both ways. Just make sure you have nice surface ripple. Less is more when it comes to flow in small tanks.

OP
OP
C

cuzzoo3345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gonna remove the old one and put the new one in the old ones spot ( not as much rock work in the way to block the flow ) . On of my fish is swimming around alot more now that only one wave maker is on! My other fish which is a goby, only comes out his and the candy cane pistol shrimps burrow at night and not very much out of the burrow

OP
OP
C

cuzzoo3345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything seems to be enjoying only one wave maker better than when I had two. Thank you for your advice it is much appreciated

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything seems to be enjoying only one wave maker better than when I had two. Thank you for your advice it is much appreciated
Your corals will let you know if you have it flowing good for them now just make sure your light par is correct for your type of coral and stability with parameters then your tank will thrive.

OP
OP
C

cuzzoo3345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My parameters have been pretty stable for the last month - month and a half. I do need to get a new flex arm for my orbit R24. The flex arm for it now had to be cut by original owner ( who is my buddy )

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My parameters have been pretty stable for the last month - month and a half. I do need to get a new flex arm for my orbit R24. The flex arm for it now had to be cut by original owner ( who is my buddy )
The key ingredients to a successful reef tank, water chemistry, lights and flow working in harmony. If you just have softs and LPS then you want 50 to 125 par bottom 150 to 250 middle and 300 to 450 top if you eventually try SPS up high

OP
OP
C

cuzzoo3345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the tip and I’ll keep that in mind! I’ll have to get something to test the par because I do not have a device that does that

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 171 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.1%
Back