0   0   0
What could I do with this shelf area? IMG_2023-11-24-15-54-04-205~2.jpg

Streetlamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What could I do with this shelf area? IMG_2023-11-24-15-54-04-205~2.jpg
Try this. The rock on the top of it on the right. Try get that under Meath so the shelf runs at an angle up. Make sure to try get the rock to lock naturally into each other. Otherwise it will look like a man made bridge

Synthgp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all:

Could you give me your thoughts on the following, in progress aquascape? This will be for a Red Sea Reefer 350. I would consider this half done
, with the plan for tomorrow to complete the center and right side (currently untouched).

Thanks,
--Ram

Raul-7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all:

Could you give me your thoughts on the following, in progress aquascape? This will be for a Red Sea Reefer 350. I would consider this half done, with the plan for tomorrow to complete the center and right side (currently untouched).

Thanks,
--Ram

1703294825347.jpeg

You could make a nice triangle layout, never seen it done in a reef aquarium before and it would honestly look awesome.

It would give plenty of swimming space; while also providing them with safety on the side full of rockwork.

gazzaza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there

I’m looking for ideas to make space for more SPS. I’m thinking of getting rid of the stylo as it’s growing weirdly, the pocci and the zoa rock (corals in red). I have a flat piece of rock in the left corner that looks very unnatural and it’s not conducive to SPS colonies (black circle). Any ideas? Excuse the blues.

Attachments

• IMG_8306.jpeg
    IMG_8306.jpeg
    221.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_8305.jpeg
    IMG_8305.jpeg
    219 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_8269.jpeg
    IMG_8269.jpeg
    195.7 KB · Views: 18

Synthgp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1703294825347.jpeg

You could make a nice triangle layout, never seen it done in a reef aquarium before and it would honestly look awesome.

It would give plenty of swimming space; while also providing them with safety on the side full of rockwork.
Ack! Thanks for the suggestion! I just saw this message after building out the rest of the scape. I really do like seeing the rockwork, but now I wonder if I have made it too busy. I will post another response with the current view.

Synthgp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am done with the scape - please do let me know what you think before I begin the transfer into the tank!

20231223 - Aquascape - 2.jpeg
20231223 - Aquascape - 3.jpeg
20231223 - Aquascape - 4.jpeg

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think I am done with the scape - please do let me know what you think before I begin the transfer into the tank!

20231223 - Aquascape - 2.jpeg
20231223 - Aquascape - 3.jpeg
20231223 - Aquascape - 4.jpeg

That looks REALLY REALLY cool! I love how there are so many column-like structures! Tons of places for small fish to swim in and around.

Aren’t the outsides going to be almost touching the glass though? Not much room for coral (I may have missed an earlier post you made?). Bigger fish might not do so well in there either.

Synthgp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks REALLY REALLY cool! I love how there are so many column-like structures! Tons of places for small fish to swim in and around.

Aren’t the outsides going to be almost touching the glass though? Not much room for coral (I may have missed an earlier post you made?). Bigger fish might not do so well in there either.
Hmm...not enough place for coral and bigger fish?

I was expecting at least 1 tang bristle tooth and maybe a younger blue hippo over time.

What am I missing with respect to space for coral? This is a first reef tank for me, so I may be missing something obvious here.

Thanks!

Synthgp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO, it is too busy.

But not sure what fish species you're going to keep.
I thought it might be a bit busy - what would you do, just remove some of the structure (in the center, or on the sides?). I would hope to have at least one (if not two tangs).

The tank is 20 inches high, and the structure is currently about 12 inches at its highest

Last edited:

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hmm...not enough place for coral and bigger fish?

I was expecting at least 1 tang bristle tooth and maybe a younger blue hippo over time.

What am I missing with respect to space for coral? This is a first reef tank for me, so I may be missing something obvious here.

Thanks!

I’m pretty new as well. Just built my second tank and aquascape so take my suggestions with a grain of overpriced reeftank salt…

I assume the blue tape marks the tank dimensions. There’s very little space between the rock and glass. That will make cleaning a pain, and won’t allow much room for coral growth or swimming area for fish. I have read to leave 1/2 to 1/3 of the space above the rock for coral growth (measure that using WATER height, not tank height). I haven’t heard a “rule of thumb” for the sides, but you definitely want growth space and swimming space IN ADDITION to the growth space.

Does that make sense?

Raul-7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it might be a bit busy - what would you do, just remove some of the structure (in the center, or on the sides?). I would hope to have at least one (if not two tangs).

The tank is 20 inches high, and the structure is currently about 12 inches at its highest

To add to @dangles suggestions - you need negative space. It's not a bad thing, it's actually desirable.

You don't need rock everywhere.

1703374617346.jpeg

Here's another 'triangle' aquascape. See all the space on the sand bed? Then see how the aquascape is almost barren on the right side?

Start from the bottom to make a general shape of the aquascape (ie. see how they used rocks to make the general outline of the aquascape?) and work your way upwards. Forming an overall triangle. Remember, the rock work is your building structure. The coral will be the beautifying element to that building structure.

This combines the best of both worlds - as it gives plenty of space for coral to grow, decent amount of swimming space and hiding spaces for the fish.

Synthgp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty new as well. Just built my second tank and aquascape so take my suggestions with a grain of overpriced reeftank salt…

I assume the blue tape marks the tank dimensions. There’s very little space between the rock and glass. That will make cleaning a pain, and won’t allow much room for coral growth or swimming area for fish. I have read to leave 1/2 to 1/3 of the space above the rock for coral growth (measure that using WATER height, not tank height). I haven’t heard a “rule of thumb” for the sides, but you definitely want growth space and swimming space IN ADDITION to the growth space.

Does that make sense?
Thanks - that does help.

The outer edge of the blue tape is the glass. I was using the blue tape as the "danger zone", so hoping that it is safe. I will plan to adjust when placing it in the tank to make sure that I leave at least a .5 inches around the edges.

Is the expectation that all of the scape get covered with coral?
The finished product!

I need to get photos and video with white light :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

IMG_8371.jpeg
IMG_8372.jpeg
IMG_8373.jpeg

I really like your rock scape!

Synthgp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I reduced the scape a bit. Not a triangle, but I think it opens it up a bit. I wanted to lone rock for GSP (I like the look but the forum has given me nightmares about the potential of it taking over the tank).

Also, please note that the outside of the tape line represents the glass, not the inside.

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So I reduced the scape a bit. Not a triangle, but I think it opens it up a bit. I wanted to lone rock for GSP (I like the look but the forum has given me nightmares about the potential of it taking over the tank).

Also, please note that the outside of the tape line represents the glass, not the inside.

For some reason videos aren’t working

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back