need help!

sbazain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get home today and my sand is full of air bubbles floating inside the red slime that am beginning to get how can I get rid of this also am beginning to get brown algae in the black glass I deed a phos. test the other day and it was at 0.05 and my phosban is new. any advice

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check cyano algae in a google search, and also Diatom algae.. the best way I found to get rid of the cyano is to turn the light off for a few days.. it will also kill off the brown..
this is also a cycle of your tank.. it will keep happening until it either stops, or you can syphon it out...

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the lights normally are not the problem... what all do you have in your tank? how many hours a day are you lighting the tank? how much are you feeding the tank? and also... what size tank? do you have a skimmer?

OP
OP
sbazain

sbazain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is a 150 I do give it about 12 hours of light and I do feed my pigs alot it has a reef octopus skimmer wish dosent stop skimming

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you are skimming a lot a day, I would cut off on some of their food... if a lot is hitting the bottom, then it is too much food.

I feed my tank about 1/4 flakes twice a day, a little squirt of real reef eggs, and oyster feast. I then hand feed all my anemones.. I get about 1/4 cup of skimate a week which I then give 1/5 of it to my phyotoplankton I rase for my tank...

What types of lights are you using? 12 hours is not that bad

OP
OP
sbazain

sbazain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know it might be the cyclops that falls on the sand they just cant eat all of it and the corals do eat it but not enough I might have to cut down

gotscreensprinting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive had the diatom as well and some red algae not bad

I only get the red in my sand a little by the acrylic very little and diatom no more once my tank passed that cycle.My diatom bloom came from having the lights on more than 6hrs a day its hard to turn lights off early but the tank will get by better with less algaes.I leave my lights on longer now that im 7months in.
2014-10-03 21.46.00.jpg
I have chito in my sump bio balls,live rock an air stone and a powerhead.Besides media reactor,protein skimmer,phosphate pad and carbon pads everything is good for now.

OP
OP
sbazain

sbazain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i might get a pad to aid the phosban and am going to give it less light even though inwont get to se it i get home at 11 at night but need to get rid of it.

gotscreensprinting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It shouldnt but im no expert this was just from my experience to correct the problem my lfs is the one that told me to do this.I still turned the light on for a couple hours i couldnt just not see my beauty tank.This is why i started with hardy coral and fish me being a beginner.Ive only lost like 3 fish 1 fish when i brought him from my lfs was so stressed he was sideways in the bag i noticed and after the acclimation period it stayed the same he never made it through the nite.lost a pair of clowns recently dont know why they wound up with black spots i heard they were getting stung by the anemones i had condy.My tank seems to be doing great.
IMAG4231.jpg

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns will not host a condy. They stay away from them.... Well that's what both of mine do.
That pic is just a basic cyano growth of a new tank.. It will diminish and disappear over time.. If your LFS tells you to stir the bottom.. DONT! You will just cause spikes in you tank.

gotscreensprinting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns will not host a condy. They stay away from them.... Well that's what both of mine do.
That pic is just a basic cyano growth of a new tank.. It will diminish and disappear over time.. If your LFS tells you to stir the bottom.. DONT! You will just cause spikes in you tank.

MY CLOWNS HOSTED THEM FOR A WHILE I HAD SEVEN THEY CHOOSE 5 OUT OF SEVEN[video=youtube;KC9U6FC8uMM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC9U6FC8uMM[/video]

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12 hours is too long for lights.. maybe at most 8 hours of lights, unless you start off with an hour of blues and then 6-7 hours of whites and end with an hour of just blues... imo.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back