Need input on flow

MarcosTacos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 45g cube which I am trouble dialing flow in. I have 2 nero 5's placed in front of eachother, one at 45% and the other at 25, in parent child pulse mode configuration.

All my acroporas and my red digi on the rockwork have poor polyp extention, my plating montipora stylo and birdsnest all look fine. My acros show some polyps but dont extend all the way. I know this because I have made accidental frags of some of them and they are all fully extended on my frag rack. I dont think light is the issue since the frag rack is on the side and my rockwork only gets about 180-190 par at the top, so the rack might get 150-160 tops). I suspect flow is the issue here l. My parameters have been stable for a while now and everything else seems happy.

I find my tank's footprint hard to manage flow wise, I also dont have a ton of room over the rockwork to place the pumps without directly blasting the acros. I am afraid that they are getting direct flow and that is ticking them off.

I am looking at some input on how I could improve the setup if needed (pump placement, settings, etc).

The first picture is one of the acroporas on the frag rack fully extended. The other ones are to show the pump placement and the rockwork. Excuse the dirty glass, I need to clean daily because of the film algae growing on it, I also had a recent diatom bloom since I added some sand.
PXL_20231218_165348474.MP.jpg
PXL_20231218_174023338.MP.jpg
PXL_20231218_174014703.MP.jpg
PXL_20231218_174005183.MP.jpg

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May wanna toss a third Nero on back wall. FYI I run both my Nero’s maxed out. Straight across from each other in a 4 ft tank

OP
OP
M

MarcosTacos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nero 3 and a nero 5 on backup. I thought fore sure 2 nero 5's would be enough for a 23long x 19 wide x 21 high cube... I am thinking the acros may be getting too much flow but i'm not sure, that's why I am asking!

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nero 3 and a nero 5 on backup. I thought fore sure 2 nero 5's would be enough for a 23long x 19 wide x 21 high cube... I am thinking the acros may be getting too much flow but i'm not sure, that's why I am asking!
Unless the flesh is being blown off probably not. Maybe toss the 3 on the back wall. I know I’m gonna add probably 2 more Nero’s

OP
OP
M

MarcosTacos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless the flesh is being blown off probably not. Maybe toss the 3 on the back wall. I know I’m gonna add probably 2 more Nero’s
I will try to add an extra and place them on the back wall and see if that helps. Any other input would be appreciated!

OP
OP
M

MarcosTacos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I placed the 2 nero 5's on the back wall as well as a nero 3 on the bottom. The flow certainly seems more turbulent and random which I think the sps will like. However, this has made the bottom of the tank a bit intense for my lps in certain spots, but now it's only about finding the right spot for them instead of trying to adapt the flow for everything. I also rescaped the tank a bit by breaking up the large piece of live rock i had in the front right corner to open it up a bit more.

Tank is dirty since I splashed a whole bunch of water and disturbed the sand while making the adjustments.
PXL_20231219_002515088.MP.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 69 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back