need ph 7 solution...simple question

macawmagic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a new probe for my calcium reactor, but the store only had PH 4 solution. I was reading online that distilled water has a ph of 7. Can I go buy distilled water and use that???

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be in the solution of a PH 7 soultion be really other then distilled water? I don't know for sure but distilled water is for sure 7.....I don't see why that wouldn't work but I can't say for sure might work in a pinch....

OP
OP
M

macawmagic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just really want to get my calcium reactor back up and running, maybe i'll order the 7 but use the distilled water untill it gets here.

Yellowtang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No chemist here but distilled water may not be ph 7
distilled water will test out in a range of pH 5.5-7.0. The reason is that distilled water dissolves carbon dioxide from the air. It dissolves carbon dioxide until it equilizes with the atmosphere. The total amount in the water is determined by the concentration in the atmosphere and the acid will lower the ph, only absolute pure distilled water will have a ph 7.0

JR,

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No chemist here but distilled water may not be ph 7
distilled water will test out in a range of pH 5.5-7.0. The reason is that distilled water dissolves carbon dioxide from the air. It dissolves carbon dioxide until it equilizes with the atmosphere. The total amount in the water is determined by the concentration in the atmosphere and the acid will lower the ph, only absolute pure distilled water will have a ph 7.0

JR,

+1, carbonic acid is created which lowers the pH.

Back