Need sick clown help!!

sredzins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I brought my 2 clowns home over spring break from school and put them in a tank that is a little over 5 gallons to stay for the duration of the break. I have 8 pounds of live rock, a sponge filter, and a small power head in the tank as well. My small er of the 2 clowns top fins seem tattered and it has me a little concerned! The other seems happy and healthy. All parameters check out, please help!

Sent from my XT907 using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The small clown is most likely being bullied. You really should buy a pair of clowns that are already getting along. With luck they will work it out.

OP
OP
sredzins

sredzins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It almost looks like how the fish looks when it comes off the truck when being shipped. You know the way the fins have an almost ripped look. Is there anything you recommend doing? I really do not want to lose a fish

Sent from my XT907 using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could add another fish as a distraction.... pick carefully.

Another trick is to place a small mirror in the tank to confuse them away from fighting until they get used to each other. At some point the small should become the male and the larger the female. The they will be fine.

Last edited:

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is somewhat normal, the big one is establishing dominance over the small one to keep it in line. This will occur from time to time as long as the fish are together, as the larger will have to keep the smaller fish in check. As long as the fish's overall appearance is healthy I would not be TO concerned, however you may want to keep a watchful eye over the break just to be sure. The small tank is just maybe bringing a little extra aggression and not a lot of room to run. I use the mirror trick to introduce a new tang, so my old tangs don't destroy it. It is somewhat amusing to watch all of the fish huddle up around the mirror.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Last edited:

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 15 41.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 2 5.6%
Back