Need your suggestions for setting up a tank

sandradavid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a beginner, I'm thinking about setting up a fish tank. What fish do you suggest for a beginner like me? Also, which type of tank is easier to handle for beginners: freshwater or saltwater? And what size tank would you recommend? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a beginner, I'm thinking about setting up a fish tank. What fish do you suggest for a beginner like me? Also, which type of tank is easier to handle for beginners: freshwater or saltwater? And what size tank would you recommend? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Fresh water is the easiest and most forgiving. But a beginner could start with a reef tank and be just fine. The difference is a TON of research will be necessary and a lot of the things that people will say are the only way to do things are merely opinions. If you put in the time to diligently research you will know which way is best for you. Tank size for fresh water doesnt matter. In salt water the bigger the tank the more forgiving it is so I dont recommend a newbie start with anything less than 30 gallons. 50+ would be better but 30 gallons can be manageable for someone new.

Things to know: salt water is expensive, theres no way around this, expect to easily pay 10x more than you would for a fresh water tank. It also requires godly levels of patience. If you started researching now I wouldnt recommend you start a tank until you researched for 6 months. It is worth it, I find salt water much more enjoyable than fresh, but know what you are getting into before you make a decision.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and also, if you go to a fish store and ask them for information on how to keep a salt water tank: write down what they say and then ask here if what they told you is good information. A lot of fish stores dont know what they are talking about and there are some that would outright lie to you just to make a sale, bad advise can lead to disaster for a salt water tank which means a lot of wasted money and giving up on the hobby.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back