Neptune Conductivity Probe - Weird Behavior

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone experienced something like this? It seems the probe is slowly dropping to a point them spiking back to normal. Nothing odd going on with the tank, ATO is working as expected. These spikes don't correlate with any of the other equipment operating.

#apexusers

IMG_0314.jpg

jonmos75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone experienced something like this? It seems the probe is slowly dropping to a point them spiking back to normal. Nothing odd going on with the tank, ATO is working as expected. These spikes don't correlate with any of the other equipment operating.

#apexusers

IMG_0314.jpg

Looks like micro-bubble are collecting in the prob causing the numbers to drop. When the air bubble escapes out one of the two holes on the side of the conductivity probe and once the air bubble leaves the salinity reading goes back to the normal range.

httorihanzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hum.. I am wondering if putting my probe holding in my drain/skimmer section of my new build might be a bad idea because of this. It makes sense that the bubbles would skew the readings.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yes water turbulence is a bad spot for any probe. The water is changing too much do to the flow a smooth even flow is the best.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take mine and shack it every week or when it starts recording weird. I have it on the up slope of a baffle.

OP
OP
MaddyP

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like micro-bubble are collecting in the prob causing the numbers to drop. When the air bubble escapes out one of the two holes on the side of the conductivity probe and once the air bubble leaves the salinity reading goes back to the normal range.
I hadn't even considered this. Probe has read within normal range for nearly two months, then this started out of nowhere.

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hadn't even considered this. Probe has read within normal range for nearly two months, then this started out of nowhere.

Mine does this slowly over time too. I've found shaking the probe under water releases the bubbles and gets me back to reading accurately.

OP
OP
MaddyP

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 57 39.9%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 75 52.4%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back