Neptune Flow Meter

benbalter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you mean rust, no, I do not.
Here is a fairly recent pic of them and they are still in pretty good condition.
20240323_1705302.jpg
Wow now that's pett

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to the OP actual question .....

Flow sensors work fine as long as you set them up to minimize clogging and accept that a periodic disassembly for cleaning will be required. Also, be careful about what a zero reading will trigger.

I have had a bunch of them on my system, pretty much since the first day they were available. Never had any issues with the 2" version, and only once with the 1/2". It's the 1" that, for me, is prone to clogging (usually strings of chaeto). Sometimes back flushing does the trick, but usually it requires disassembly and cleaning.

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to the OP actual question .....

Flow sensors work fine as long as you set them up to minimize clogging and accept that a periodic disassembly for cleaning will be required. Also, be careful about what a zero reading will trigger.

I have had a bunch of them on my system, pretty much since the first day they were available. Never had any issues with the 2" version, and only once with the 1/2". It's the 1" that, for me, is prone to clogging (usually strings of chaeto). Sometimes back flushing does the trick, but usually it requires disassembly and cleaning.
That's not good news. I just started a refugium in my sump with Chaeto and Ulva. I have had little to no issues with my 1" Neptune Flow Meters for almost a year. I will have to keep an eye on them now that I have Chaeto.

OP, possibly you can tie your UV Sterilizer program to the flow meter and pump power draw (what #Pistondog suggested) though I'm not sure what the program would look like. That way you would have redundant fail-safes. Or, that might be getting more complicated then it needs to be.

benbalter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking into adding a flow meter to my uv sterilizer so I can monitor the flow, but also configure slerts and turn the pump an sterilizer off if gph hits <10gph. are they really as bad as the reviews on vendors sites state? I couldn't find much here except for a post or two and for sale threads.
Fallback OFF
Set ON
If Output Uv_carbon_pu = OFF Then OFF
If Power Apex Off 002 Then OFF
if UV_FLO <50 Then off
I think this what your looking for

OP
OP
S

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not good news. I just started a refugium in my sump with Chaeto and Ulva. I have had little to no issues with my 1" Neptune Flow Meters for almost a year. I will have to keep an eye on them now that I have Chaeto.

OP, possibly you can tie your UV Sterilizer program to the flow meter and pump power draw (what #Pistondog suggested) though I'm not sure what the program would look like. That way you would have redundant fail-safes. Or, that might be getting more complicated then it needs to be.
Yea, I assume that will require a virtual outlet, but excellent suggestion. Thank you! I am still torn about the flow meter and may revisit it at a later date.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I assume that will require a virtual outlet, but excellent suggestion. Thank you! I am still torn about the flow meter and may revisit it at a later date.
In the uv lamp advanced logic, the following will turn it off if the uv pump is not drawing at least 5 watts.

If output uv_pump watts < 5 then off

benbalter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I can tell you this I have used one for about a year. Then six months ago I add 6 more. I love them! They saved my pump two times now

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a number of ways you can protect the UV. I have a flow meter on my main pump. if the flow drops to zero or the pump outlet is off, the UV turns off. I also have a high level float switch in the sump. If that engages, I assume the main pump is off, and the UV turns off.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back