NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya, but I'm just paranoid. :D

The thing I don't like about the dechlorinators is the "slime coat" they all seem to add. So I may just stick them out in the sun for another 2 or 3 days and then start cycling them.

Brandon

Reeflogic

Powered by KGB
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When are ya tackling that coralline on the tank? :) I will be doing a 180 build, probably starting in spring (I hope), so I will be on board watching yours come along! Great deal on a great tank, free is always good!!

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully soon! Everything has been on hold for the last couple of weeks due to me studying for a computer certification exam. :)

Do you have your tank yet? I am still in shock over the deal I got on mine!

Brandon

Reeflogic

Powered by KGB
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not yet, I have a 90g Oceanic tech tank currently. I was trying to sell it here locally before my move to Michigan (next week) and I haven't had any real luck. So I figure I will just get it moved and set up and then try again in late winter / early spring, then I will be figuring out which route I want to go on a tank. I am really liking that Synergy build and hopeful I can get me some of those products to go under the hood! Once I get moved I'm going to do a build thread for my 90g, which was quite a bit of fun. I love the tech tank, but I need to have a bigger tank lol.

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always need a bigger tank. :)

Synergy is good stuff. Not to mention the green looks awesome. Haha! I'll definitely be grabbing a reactor or two from them.

Brandon

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changed out the RO/DI water my rocks were soaking in yesterday. I should have stirred it all up quite a bit before I drained the water, though, because as I filled it back up, all kinds of nastiness came to the surface. Pretty sure I'll be dipping these rocks one more time and washing out my sump before I put saltwater in! I was going to add salt this weekend, but I realized I didn't have a refractometer. Volitans offered to let me borrow his, but I completely forgot it when I left his place! Doh! I'm out of town for work this week, but I think I'll be grabbing one at the end of the week. :)

Slowly but surely, this thing is coming together.

Brandon

Volitans67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doh! Totally forgot about that! Let me know if you don't happen to pick one up, happy to drop mine off for you. Safe travels!

Jmcdaniel0

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazon has several reasonably price refractometers. That's where I got mine and have had it since January of last year with no issues.

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, that's where I was planning on getting it from. I found one for $24.99 and I'm a prime member, so free 2-day shipping. :D I went ahead and ordered it today so it should come in Friday, which is the same day I get home.

Brandon

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a little bit more done tonight, thanks to help from my wife. She helped me dip all of the rocks and get them out of their current water. Pumped all of that out, rinsed out the stock tank, and filled it full of salt water. :) Its a bit cloudy, which worries me a bit as it mixed that way, but I was also mixing with cold water. I'm pretty sure a lot of calcium precipitated out, but I believe it will be fine for cycling the rock.

It now has two modded maxijets and 2 Eheim heaters in it. :)

IMG_20131007_215250287_zps76c55374.jpg

I'm out of town all next week for work, and was out all last week for work, but I was glad to get this stuff in salt water. I'll be throwing a raw shrimp in there sometime this week to start the cycle and then, hopefully, a chromis after a few days and maybe some Dr. Tims to be sure. :)

Slowly, but surely its coming along. Up next, cleaning the tank and building the stand, I think.

Brandon

Last edited:
OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to. :)

Hopefully the later half of this month and November will produce some productivity with this beast.

Brandon

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the water warmed up, it also cleared up. :)

IMG_20131008_173805235_zps5c4a4ea9.jpg

Now I'm wanting to put a fish in here. :D

I put what little bit of formula 2 I had in to get the cycle started. Once I get back next week, I will make room for my skimmer and start feeding on a regular basis. I may pick up some Dr. Tim's One and Only, too. Along with something to actually feed. :D I'm thinking blue reef chromis...

Brandon

Last edited:
OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its strange to me how prices fluctuate on some things continuously on Amazon, but I was able to grab an 8 ounce bottle of Dr. Tims One and Only for $20 shipped today, so I can't complain. :) Planning on adding a fish this week since I wasn't able to before I left. It should be here Thursday and I think we should have shipping confirmation of our Jebao group buy soon, also. Can't wait to get water in this beast!!! Getting closer, little by little.

Brandon

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got back from Atlanta on Wednesday. My Dr. Tim's came in on Thursday, so Thursday night I went over to the Aquatic Critter and grabbed a pair of Sustainable Aquatics Fancy Ocellaris clowns.

IMG_20131017_200231653_zpsb865bae1.jpg

IMG_20131017_200246815_zps26936898.jpg

Its really awesome having fish again. I am stoked to get this tank up and running.

Since I worked all through the weekend last weekend, I left after lunch today and came home to work a bit on the tank. I got the overflow removed (broke two Xacto blades trying to get those loose!) and sprayed the entire tank with vinegar twice and then scraped it all out. I then wheeled it out to the driveway and sprayed it out with the hose. Looks pretty good! I still need to find the right size glass to cover the holes from the old plumbing and repaint the back of the tank. I may repaint it tonight or tomorrow. Either way, here's a pic:

IMG_20131018_160100912_HDR_zpsbcc7fa33.jpg

It looks much better! Step by step, this thing is coming together.

Brandon

Last edited:

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice to see some fish! Those rocks you have will make for a great aquascape. Hurry up already :)

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep it up man. I want more.

Btw look at the link in my sig to stop the photobucket link back.

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Looks good. Can't wait to see it set up bro

Maybe by the time you guys come back this way I'll have it up and running. :) But probably won't have lights until later.

Nice to see some fish! Those rocks you have will make for a great aquascape. Hurry up already :)

Dude, I could take another year and still be faster than you were with your new setup. Haha! It is definitely great to have some fish in there and I'm also looking forward to aquascaping this beast.

Keep it up man. I want more.

Btw look at the link in my sig to stop the photobucket link back.

Thanks, man. I want more, too. :D I actually did disable linkbacks in my photobucket settings. However, I have these pics in here as clickable thumbnails may be the difference.

Brandon

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 38.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back