New 60 Gallon Cube

iannarelli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

Been lurking here for quite some time since my last post. I had originally wanted to set up a 120g peninsula tank in my co-op apartment, but unfortunately, the orientation of the tank for where I wanted to put it was parallel with the floor joists, and all the weight would have been on two joists at best—not something I wanted to try on 90+ year structure.

Anyway, after giving up on the idea for a while, I've decided I want to move forward with a smaller project (I understand this will limit some of my livestock choices). I settled on a 60 gallon cube mixed reef for the time being. It's going to serve as a mini room divider between my living room and dining room, and will also be the first thing you see (side view) after entering my apartment. I am in the very early planning stages Here's my plan for the equipment (bold items I really need some advice on):

Stand: Custom build, 36 inch high
Tanks: Aqueon 60g Cube (will drill it myself)
Overflow: Modular Marine 800 or 1200GPH
Rock: Habitat-based scape using Marco Rock or CaribSea LifeRock
Sand: CaribSea OceanDirect Special Grade Sand (2-3" for a wrasse)
Sump: Trigger Sapphire Cube 20
Skimmer: Adaptive Reef A6 DC 200 (probably overkill)
ATO: 5 gal w/ Tunze Osmolater
Heater: 2x 200w Titanium w/ Inkbird (or maybe IM Helio)
Return Pump: Sicce Syncra 7
Wavemakers: TBD
Light: Kessil A360x or A500x (help!)

So now for my questions.

1. For the overflow, I'm trying to decide between a Herbie or Bean Animal setup. Is the bean much better or quieter? Or is it really just providing an additional means of redundancy? I am thinking 1" dia. drain pipes, and I am waiting to hear back from MM if one overflow would be better re: space constraints for the Bean Animal. Other than the plumbing considerations, are there any drawbacks to one or the other? They're both oversized for the proposed return pump.
  2. Is one type of rock significantly better than the other? I'm also tempted to get a small amount of live rock from TBS, but really don't want to deal with any undesirable hitchhikers.
  3. The skimmer is a bit ridiculous. There aren't a lot of reviews on this unit, but BRS had good things to say. I know I want a DC pump, and I know there are less expensive options. I also considered the MaxSpect Aeraqua Duo AD60, as whatever I get I want something that I will be able to use on a larger tank in the future, and the 5 yr warranty on the Adaptive Reef seems to be unmatched. As a side note, I also really want to avoid red equipment, a very silly and superficial reason, but here we are.
  4. I've seen some negative feedback about the new Tunze Osmolator 3... should I look for the older 3155 model?
  5. For heating an 80g system (60g in DT, ~20g in sump), are two 200w heaters enough or should I get more wattage. My building is a prewar and is usually pretty warm.
  6. I won an eBay auction for A Sicce Syncra 7 NIB for $183. I was originally going to pick up a Syncra 6, so I'm confident the Syncra 7 will be enough to move water. Planning on having two 3/4" returns, one on each side of the overflow, likely equipped with RFG's. Any flaws here?
  7. I will happily take suggestions for wavemakers! I own a Nero 3, so I will likely start with that but understand this will be an iterative process impacted by lots of other variables.
  8. For lighting, I 100% want that sweet, sweet Kessil shimmer, and that's not negotiable. I haven't been able to find another light that gets close to the Kessil's shimmer. I'm not looking to have SPS coral everywhere, which seem to be the biggest weakness of the Kessil's, but would eventually like to have some. In reading a bunch of posts here, it seems an A360x won't cut it on its own, and I'd need to install some LED bars like Reef Brites, Quanta Pros, or perhaps AI Blades (I run AI Primes on my 75g planted tank) to supplement it. If I went with the A500X, could I avoid adding additional lights? Aesthetically, a single light looks much cleaner, but obviously, the health of the animals comes before my design sensibility.
  9. Finally, are there any glaringly obvious things I'm missing or forgetting about, or fatal flaws in the above?
Thanks in advance for the help and advice! If I've left anything out, let me know and I will add whatever information is needed! Once I begin pulling the trigger on equipment and supplies, I will update this thread with progress shots!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also need a heater controller like an inkbird. As for the kessil I would opt for the 360 and an additional LED bar down the road. Better for shading.

Rocks come down to preference. Personally I'd be using ocean direct instead of dry rock. Benefits outweigh the concern of hitchhikers.

OP
OP
iannarelli

iannarelli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also need a heater controller like an inkbird. As for the kessil I would opt for the 360 and an additional LED bar down the road. Better for shading.

Rocks come down to preference. Personally I'd be using ocean direct instead of dry rock. Benefits outweigh the concern of hitchhikers.
Will definitely have a heater controller! As for the lighting, glad I don't to shell out for the A500X... I'm assuming that "later on" for the LED bars means when I want to keep some SPS coral?

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had success with 1, 2, and 3 drain overflows. I do like the bean animal style for added redundancy, as snails sometimes make their way into the drain pipe sometimes, ime. Make sure to add pipe unions for easy disassembly and clean out too.
(As I suggested previously with 2 a360x) While two a360x lights are a little too much, they can be dialed down. I run mine at 55% max intensity. I also recommend the wifi adapter, and not the controller. The controller loses time settings when power is disrupted.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back