New Chromis from low salinity

alliw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello RTR!!
I am in the process of floating a bag of blue/ greens that came from the LFS. When I measured salinity it was 1.015 where mine is steady at 1.025.
How long can they stay in the bag being gradually acclimated to a higher salinity? I have no QT and they will be the only fish in this tank. I have a blood shrimp and 5 snails
Thanks

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello RTR!!
I am in the process of floating a bag of blue/ greens that came from the LFS. When I measured salinity it was 1.015 where mine is steady at 1.025.
How long can they stay in the bag being gradually acclimated to a higher salinity? I have no QT and they will be the only fish in this tank. I have a blood shrimp and 5 snails
Thanks
To my knowledge, if the salinity difference is that big, drip acclimating in the bag won't work - to safely raise the salinity that much should take like 2-3 days IIRC, so you'd want a small tank (or a bucket or something) to hold it in while it acclimates.

I know @Jay Hemdal has talked about how fast you can raise salinity safely, but I don't remember the exact numbers (or where to find them).

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello RTR!!
Thanks
Best is to place them in a clean bucket and continue to raise salinity as low salinity is one of the contributors to uronema disease. Advantageous would have been to add ruby rally pro creating a bath prior to tank introduction but should be fine without

OP
OP
alliw

alliw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To my knowledge, if the salinity difference is that big, drip acclimating in the bag won't work - to safely raise the salinity that much should take like 2-3 days IIRC, so you'd want a small tank (or a bucket or something) to hold it in while it acclimates.

I know @Jay Hemdal has talked about how fast you can raise salinity safely, but I don't remember the exact numbers (or where to find them).
Okay yes thanks from what I’ve been reading this is the best solution. I really need to buy a small tank for QT. It’d make this easier

OP
OP
alliw

alliw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best is to place them in a clean bucket and continue to raise salinity as low salinity is one of the contributors to uronema disease. Advantageous would have been to add ruby rally pro creating a bath prior to tank introduction but should be fine without
Yes! Have been slowly adding tank water. They are looking fine so far. It’s been 5 hours but I definitely want to go slow

OP
OP
alliw

alliw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! Have been slowly adding tank water. They are looking fine so far. It’s been 5 hours but I definitely want to go slow
Just looking into ruby rally as I’ve not heard of it before. Is this what you’d recommend for any fish entering the DT?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Just looking into ruby rally as I’ve not heard of it before. Is this what you’d recommend for any fish entering the DT?
While for any fish, chromis and anthias - Bath is recommended. Also be sure to maintain proper salinity and tank housekeeping. They are susceptible to Uronema which can also be triggered by low salinity levels as well as excess food waste on tank bottom which this protozoan can feed on as often prevention can be more valuable than cure for this.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello RTR!!
Thanks

So - just seeing this now. I really wish LFS would not house fish at that low of a specific gravity. It really serves no purpose for disease control (needs to be at 1.012 for flukes and 1.009 for ich). Then, acclimating fish from 1.015 to 1.025 needs to be done over two to three days, and can not be done while a fish is floating in the bag....

This post explains all that:

Jay

OP
OP
alliw

alliw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So - just seeing this now. I really wish LFS would not house fish at that low of a specific gravity. It really serves no purpose for disease control (needs to be at 1.012 for flukes and 1.009 for ich). Then, acclimating fish from 1.015 to 1.025 needs to be done over two to three days, and can not be done while a fish is floating in the bag....

This post explains all that:

Jay
Great article. Saving for future reference!

Yea, had I known their water was so much a difference I may have requested they acclimate to my salinity in shop for a week or more. Orrrrr I need to pick up another tank ( which is what I plan on).
Fortunately, I have three alive fish this morning. Keeping a close eye on them while that Ruby reef rally arrives here.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stores do it because it mask a lot of issues and saves on salt for their weekly water changes.

Ccote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I just received 2 tangs in the mail. I noticed the salinity of the water was 30ppm. My tank is at 35. And ive been adding 1/2 cup every 3 min or so. Does anyone know how long I should take to raise the delivery water to 35? Can I start adding a cup per every 3 min? They are in a 5 gal bucket

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I just received 2 tangs in the mail. I noticed the salinity of the water was 30ppm. My tank is at 35. And ive been adding 1/2 cup every 3 min or so. Does anyone know how long I should take to raise the delivery water to 35? Can I start adding a cup per every 3 min? They are in a 5 gal bucket

Be sure to aerate the the water in the bucket. They will have high ammonia in the shipping water, and as you add new water, the pH will rise, making the ammonia more toxic. You do not want them to spend too much time in that water then. 30 to 35 ppt is not a huge rise, I would get them into the tank after an hour or so.

Jay

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 26 28.0%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 17 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back