New fish tilting over at bottom tank?

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any experience with tilting at bottom tank? Our little clown swims in spot a lot and keeps tilting over?

He is only with us two full days now. The first day was a little rough, we did the fish in cycle with Fritz turbo 900 & stress guard, with a hour acclimation (last time in-cycle!). We did a tiny water change already even though all the water test showed 0

He didn’t seem to swim like that at the pet store and he is doing better more open swimming. But when he frequents the bottom, and will like fall over then get back up and keep randomly doing it. Looks fine when swimming in the open today, but then tilts again?

Attachments

• IMG_1615.mov
    48.2 MB
  • IMG_1598.mov
    24.4 MB
OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The video isn’t working but it sounds like a lack of oxygen or a parameter issue.
His breathing is a little labored, the parameters keep coming back good (I must have checked salinity, ammonia, nitrates, ph a dozen times being paranoid). Should I just add another pump maybe? It’s only a 10g QT

Neoma369

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any experience with tilting at bottom tank? Our little clown swims in spot a lot and keeps tilting over?

He is only with us two full days now. The first day was a little rough, we did the fish in cycle with Fritz turbo 900 & stress guard, with a hour acclimation (last time in-cycle!). We did a tiny water change already even though all the water test showed 0

He didn’t seem to swim like that at the pet store and he is doing better more open swimming. But when he frequents the bottom, and will like fall over then get ba

ck up and keep randomly doing it. Looks fine when swimming in the open today, but then tilts again?
I have found that when a fish is very stressed this can happen. Either the water Parameters are too different from the water it came from or the transfer was too quick. Any other fish being aggressive?

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His breathing is a little labored, the parameters keep coming back good (I must have checked salinity, ammonia, nitrates, ph a dozen times being paranoid). Should I just add another pump maybe? It’s only a 10g QT
Did you acclimate him when you got him and what test kit are you using?

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the bottom sandless and sees reflection?
Yes, we we put him in a QT that we were planning preventative meds for but then the LFS told me it was overkill and just do the turbo. So he’s in there until our big tank has cycled, last time we do fish in like this because the paranoia is killing me

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, we we put him in a QT that we were planning preventative meds for but then the LFS told me it was overkill and just do the turbo. So he’s in there until our big tank has cycled, last time we do fish in like this because the paranoia is killing me
He may have trouble righting himself/herself as it would see, another clown?

If that’s the issue, then I have no concerns.

Maybe put in a piece of tubing as a home?
See if that changes things.

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do yo
I have found that when a fish is very stressed this can happen. Either the water Parameters are too different from the water it came from or the transfer was too quick. Any other fish being aggressive?
Do you know how long they can do this? So maybe it’s just stress? I keep thinking he’s sick or dying. But besides the tilting and a minor flaring in breath he seems okay, swimming in the open more today. But still brushing the bottom and tilting mostly.

No other fish, we had him in qt as he came from an algae filled petshop (kid wanted the specific color). And we were going to get his pair to add too but if he was sick I didn’t want to mix them?

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He may have trouble righting himself/herself as it would see, another clown?

If that’s the issue, then I have no concerns.

Maybe put in a piece of tubing as a home?
See if that changes things.
IMG_1563.jpeg

We have a tube in there he hangs out behind. He’s our first fish & clown, the child picked him from an algae filled fish shop for his color. We wanted another one from a cleaner place but didn’t want them together incase this one was sick.

Maybe I should just acclimate him to the main tank and get the other clown and let them settle together.

I’m still torn on treatment. And worried the tilting means his sick - but he wasn’t like that at the pet shop that I saw. So I feel like it’s our error somehow

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine doing that for years…..
He’s in a mirror, just maybe reacting to the other clowns.
What’s he do when lights out?

Is the clown doing anything else other than hang in the water like that.

Does he eat, swim, otherwise act normal (as normal as a clown does)

Is there any video?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1563.jpeg

We have a tube in there he hangs out behind. He’s our first fish & clown, the child picked him from an algae filled fish shop for his color. We wanted another one from a cleaner place but didn’t want them together incase this one was sick.

Maybe I should just acclimate him to the main tank and get the other clown and let them settle together.

I’m still torn on treatment. And worried the tilting means his sick - but he wasn’t like that at the pet shop that I saw. So I feel like it’s our error somehow
While you cycled with bacteria, you have no rock or much surface area for those bacteria to live, so you’ll need to make regular water changes throughout your QT process. Clean up all uneaten foods.
Be cautious of ammonia.

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine doing that for years…..
He’s in a mirror, just maybe reacting to the other clowns.
What’s he do when lights out?

Is the clown doing anything else other than hang in the water like that.

Does he eat, swim, otherwise act normal (as normal as a clown does)

Is there any video?
Today is a little more normal, yesterday he didn’t want to swim off the grown. Hasn’t eaten yet, first day he ate and spit it out.

He mostly swims in place and randomly tilts over, then swims quick again to sit upright and tilts over or brush’s the ground then stops and tilts over. Only a few times today I saw him out in the open like normal.

Not sure why my videos not working, I posted some of this page but they’re not showing to me now so idk -

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While you cycled with bacteria, you have no rock or much surface area for those bacteria to live, so you’ll need to make regular water changes throughout your QT process. Clean up all uneaten foods.
Be cautious of ammonia.
I checked the ammonia a few times and it’s been staying at zero the last to days.. the test was minimally darker like could barely tell but we did a 10% water change, and added a little more. still no nitrate though either.

Mmbra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt be too worried. I'm not sure if you have had a clown fish before, but their behavior is odd when compared to most other fish. Mine lay on the bottom. Hover straight up and down, do weird wiggles. Just when you think there is something wrong, they jump back to acting normal. What you are talking about sounds like a clown being a clown. Probably a little stressed due to the move and the QT tank.

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s doing much better! I read so many stories about how they typically fade after that but he seems strong.. maybe just stress? Was in a new lfs today and they had a few fish tilting, they looked worse than ours so who knows.
I wouldnt be too worried. I'm not sure if you have had a clown fish before, but their behavior is odd when compared to most other fish. Mine lay on the bottom. Hover straight up and down, do weird wiggles. Just when you think there is something wrong, they jump back to acting normal. What you are talking about sounds like a clown being a clown. Probably a little stressed due to the move and the QT tank.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back