New Frag UC Loony Bin Acropora

Cscultho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I just received a beautiful frag of a UC Loony Bin Acropora. Where should I place it in the tank? I currently have it in the middle section but plan to move towards the top after a week. Does this sound like a good plan?

IMG_7770.jpeg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally, sure. But unless you have par mapped your tank you are blindly guessing as to the optimal spot.

OP
OP
Cscultho

Cscultho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally, sure. But unless you have par mapped your tank you are blindly guessing as to the optimal spot.
Unfortunately, I do not have a par meter. I’m basing my decision on how well my green slimmer is doing at the top third of the tank. I’m assuming this Acropora is also a high demand (par) coral

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I do not have a par meter. I’m basing my decision on how well my green slimmer is doing at the top third of the tank. I’m assuming this Acropora is also a high demand (par) coral
Not sure where you are, but a lot of LFS rent PAR meters. One of my local stores rents them for $35 and you get to keep it 3 days, but they're also not really fussy about the return date, you can call and extend for free as long as there's no demand for it (typically not). Last time I rented it I kept it a week and mapped a few friends tanks with it.

OP
OP
Cscultho

Cscultho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure where you are, but a lot of LFS rent PAR meters. One of my local stores rents them for $35 and you get to keep it 3 days, but they're also not really fussy about the return date, you can call and extend for free as long as there's no demand for it (typically not). Last time I rented it I kept it a week and mapped a few friends tanks with it.
Interesting. Was not aware of this. If I can locate a meter what is the recommended par for this particular acros or are all acros essentially the same -- High Light, high flow?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all acros are the same. I'd ping or message the vendor and ask.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Was not aware of this. If I can locate a meter what is the recommended par for this particular acros or are all acros essentially the same -- High Light, high flow?
Like @Cell said, not all the same. I mean, sure, if you want to use broad terminology like "High Light" and "High Flow," then most Acros fit this bill. But it's important to remember that "High" not only means different things to different people (Some say it's anything above 250, some say it's anything above 350, etc), it's a wide range, so some Acro prefer lower-end of high, while others will take as much light as you could throw at them.

That being said, since it's a UniqueCorals Signature coral, you may want to start there and contact @uniquecorals directly, they will have the best information for that particular frag from their mother colony.

OP
OP
Cscultho

Cscultho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like @Cell said, not all the same. I mean, sure, if you want to use broad terminology like "High Light" and "High Flow," then most Acros fit this bill. But it's important to remember that "High" not only means different things to different people (Some say it's anything above 250, some say it's anything above 350, etc), it's a wide range, so some Acro prefer lower-end of high, while others will take as much light as you could throw at them.

That being said, since it's a UniqueCorals Signature coral, you may want to start there and contact @uniquecorals directly, they will have the best information for that particular frag from their mother colony.
Thank you

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 107 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back