New G2 Red Sea Reefer XL 300 Return Valve Nightmare

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a brand new Red Sea Reefer XL 300 G2 that is driving me crazy. I have turned in a ticket to Red Sea and it they have been very slow to respond. Every excuse in the world, but no remedy.

I get up in the morning to a dry return chamber. The overflow at the back of the tank is overflowing and the display is backed up with water. I turn the adjustment return valve a turn counterclockwise to open more flow, a gush happens and within 60 seconds the water level is good in the sump. I then have to wait 5 minutes and turn it back to almost where I had it, clockwise to get the correct level in the overflow.

All is well for a few hours, then rinse and repeat. EVERY single morning, this is the routine. I have no blockages, pump isn't pumping too much and is actually turned way down trying to combat this problem. It has been a nightmare since I purchased this in October 2022.

Red Sea support has been terrible so far. I even bought the 5 year extended warranty for $189.99. 2 weeks after I bought it, they lowered the price to $49.99 for 5 years...............and they released a G2 PLUS with auto ATO.............

I am WIDE OPEN to any suggestions as I have never, ever experienced this issue in all my years of reefing. I'm thinking this has to be the RS return valve as the thing changes like the weather.

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a brand new Red Sea Reefer XL 300 G2 that is driving me crazy. I have turned in a ticket to Red Sea and it they have been very slow to respond. Every excuse in the world, but no remedy.

I get up in the morning to a dry return chamber. The overflow at the back of the tank is overflowing and the display is backed up with water. I turn the adjustment return valve a turn counterclockwise to open more flow, a gush happens and within 60 seconds the water level is good in the sump. I then have to wait 5 minutes and turn it back to almost where I had it, clockwise to get the correct level in the overflow.

All is well for a few hours, then rinse and repeat. EVERY single morning, this is the routine. I have no blockages, pump isn't pumping too much and is actually turned way down trying to combat this problem. It has been a nightmare since I purchased this in October 2022.

Red Sea support has been terrible so far. I even bought the 5 year extended warranty for $189.99. 2 weeks after I bought it, they lowered the price to $49.99 for 5 years...............and they released a G2 PLUS with auto ATO.............

I am WIDE OPEN to any suggestions as I have never, ever experienced this issue in all my years of reefing. I'm thinking this has to be the RS return valve as the thing changes like the weather.
Wow that sounds awful. Sorry you have to deal with that especially for the price we pay. I am not gonna be able to help unfortunately but I have seen a ton of post that the valve is awful on Red Sea tanks

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of return pump are u using? Also what's the schedule like on your recirculation pumps inside the tank?

OP
OP
Hurricane Aquatics

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
As an update, Red Sea finally replied and they are sending a new return valve. Only took over 2 weeks to arrive at that.

OP
OP
Hurricane Aquatics

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Are sure, sounds like at night return pump goes crazy, double check that
Yes, I've looked at the graphs inside the Apex, but they are minimal at best. That could be some of the problem and I'm currently looking into that further.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the above - double check the Apex if you're controlling the pumps through it. I run a Sicce SDC 9 through my Apex via IOTA and there are actually two three configuration areas in addition to the table (two = outlets, table and then one hidden one in the table menu).

One thing you could try is to open the valve up all the way, then slowly make 1/8" to 1/4" adjustments (waiting 5-10 minutes between new adjustments). You ideally want the water level close to or just below the edge of the emergency overflow pipe.

OP
OP
Hurricane Aquatics

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Agree with the above - double check the Apex if you're controlling the pumps through it. I run a Sicce SDC 9 through my Apex via IOTA and there are actually two three configuration areas in addition to the table (two = outlets, table and then one hidden one in the table menu).

One thing you could try is to open the valve up all the way, then slowly make 1/8" to 1/4" adjustments (waiting 5-10 minutes between new adjustments). You ideally want the water level close to or just below the edge of the emergency overflow pipe.

I don't control the Ecotech Vectra S2 pump through the Apex. I have it in an outlet for on/off when feeding or doing maintenance. I use Mobius to control the pump itself.

1683333606640.png

On the valve adjustment, yes, that's exactly how I first adjusted it and it went just fine. I wouldn't mind having to adjust it once a month or something, but 3 times or more a day and every single morning is ridiculous.

As it stands right now, my whole tank is virtually automated, but I couldn't go on vacation if I wanted to because of things like that. Always the case with these systems, like a full time job, lol. I enjoy it though, just too bad we don't get paid to do it.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't control the Ecotech Vectra S2 pump through the Apex. I have it in an outlet for on/off when feeding or doing maintenance. I use Mobius to control the pump itself.

1683333606640.png

On the valve adjustment, yes, that's exactly how I first adjusted it and it went just fine. I wouldn't mind having to adjust it once a month or something, but 3 times or more a day and every single morning is ridiculous.

As it stands right now, my whole tank is virtually automated, but I couldn't go on vacation if I wanted to because of things like that. Always the case with these systems, like a full time job, lol. I enjoy it though, just too bad we don't get paid to do it.
Ah, gotcha. You should check into IOTA - it allows you to reduce pump speed instead of simply turning it on or off.

Graemesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious here, why would one need or want a valve on a return? I understand back in the day especially with externals it was a must but I don't understand why it would be anything except a possible problem. Not trying to be a sa just really curious, as we have a 525 g1 that doesn't have that option.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious here, why would one need or want a valve on a return? I understand back in the day especially with externals it was a must but I don't understand why it would be anything except a possible problem. Not trying to be a sa just really curious, as we have a 525 g1 that doesn't have that option.
I think he's referring to the valve on his main overflow pipe.

OP
OP
Hurricane Aquatics

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm at the end of my rope here, It's 4am and I've been up for 3 days working on this nightmare. Either I've forgotten everything I've ever learned in my 30 years of keeping reef tanks or my Red Sea has gremlins.

Red Sea finally sent a new valve. Didn't do a thing. I replaced the Ecotech Vectra S2 with a new Ecotech Vectra S2, I've adjusted the baffles in the sump, I've cleaned pipes that are only 6 months old, I mean I've done everything.

Took my ReefMat 500 out, cleaned it, checked the hose, etc. I have always had a bit of this issue, but it got unbearable recently. When I bought the tank and all equipment, one of those pieces was the ReefMat 500. I bought 6 extra rolls when I purchased the tank.

I recently ran out and ordered 6 more from BRS. Same place I bought the first 6 from. The water WILL NOT hardly flow through these new fleece rolls. It is like Red Sea went from 200 micron fleece, down to 100 or 50 as the flow just cannot be adjusted.

I have my return pump on 15 percent...... 15 percent and it still is occurring. I mean this is maddening and Red Sea you can't even call them.....

David_CO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Red Sea valves are garbage.

depending on your wave maker schedule it can make a difference to the overflow. I have super high flow in my Red Sea tank and when I turn off the mp40s and gyres their is a noticible difference in the overflow. If you are running a highly variable schedule I would try setting all Nero’s to a constant speed for a day or two and just observe after tuning the valve.

also the Reefmat can make a difference depending on your auto advance length. It’s it’s set to move a bunch when the sensor is tripped I wouldn’t be surprised if it drained your overflow. I have mine set to the lowest setting to minimize impact of water volume in my return.

OP
OP
Hurricane Aquatics

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The Red Sea valves are garbage.

depending on your wave maker schedule it can make a difference to the overflow. I have super high flow in my Red Sea tank and when I turn off the mp40s and gyres their is a noticible difference in the overflow. If you are running a highly variable schedule I would try setting all Nero’s to a constant speed for a day or two and just observe after tuning the valve.

also the Reefmat can make a difference depending on your auto advance length. It’s it’s set to move a bunch when the sensor is tripped I wouldn’t be surprised if it drained your overflow. I have mine set to the lowest setting to minimize impact of water volume in my return.

Yeah you said it. So here's my issue, if you set the reefmat to the slowest advance setting, then youight as well not be using a Reefmat because the dirty water flowing through the dirty fleece will cause nutrients and decaying food to increase greatly.

I have a full Acropora system and can't have that situation. I have it set to advance 1.2 to 1.4 inches. I completely get what you're saying and you may very well be right. My complaint is having to bandaid issues from a poorly designed system.

Yes, my flow is very high. I have 4 Nero 7s and they are set to basically Reef Crest mode, two on the back wall and two in the sides of the tank.

They run in steady mode at night and I still have issues. It's the craziest thing I've ever seen. The return chamber is the only one that drains. The Reefmat area and the Skimmer chamber are full. I have to tell you, if I knew this was an issue before hand, I would have went with another system. It's no joke, every hour or two I'm having to adjust and re-adjust that stupid valve.

Yeah, I'm a bit frustrated at this point. I appreciate your help and support.

Elmervc15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 71.4%
10   4   0
Did you try connecting the pump to a different outlet ( not apex ) just in case, and double check mobius

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah you said it. So here's my issue, if you set the reefmat to the slowest advance setting, then youight as well not be using a Reefmat because the dirty water flowing through the dirty fleece will cause nutrients and decaying food to increase greatly.

I have a full Acropora system and can't have that situation. I have it set to advance 1.2 to 1.4 inches. I completely get what you're saying and you may very well be right. My complaint is having to bandaid issues from a poorly designed system.

Yes, my flow is very high. I have 4 Nero 7s and they are set to basically Reef Crest mode, two on the back wall and two in the sides of the tank.

They run in steady mode at night and I still have issues. It's the craziest thing I've ever seen. The return chamber is the only one that drains. The Reefmat area and the Skimmer chamber are full. I have to tell you, if I knew this was an issue before hand, I would have went with another system. It's no joke, every hour or two I'm having to adjust and re-adjust that stupid valve.

Yeah, I'm a bit frustrated at this point. I appreciate your help and support.
Wow my friend

I am on the same boat!
Its just so ridiculous and I dont understand this crap overflow.

Sometimes I wake up hearing my ATO topping off water.. well, i mean not just once..
then I check and I see the return chamber is pretty empty.
OK, lets open the valve a bit.. then its ok..

after maybe half a day the chamber is floated with water and I need to close it again.

I mean HOW are reefers supposed to have a steady and reliable ATO system and keep salitiniy stable??

Its so frustrtaing and I really donw know what the issue should be here.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back