New Reef Octopus Octo Pulse 2 (fully controllable flow pump)

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone seen these Reef Octo Pulse Wave Power Heads perform in action @ maybe Interzoo or RAP??

I can tell you one thing, they look very well built and these power heads throw out some series Flow: 4,500gph per CoralVue. I know from experience with there Reef Octo VarioS Line of DC pumps are incredible. I have never seen a DC pump run at 100 % and be absolutely silent even more silent than my EcoTech Marine M1 DC return pump.. That being said, I am currently running there VarioS4 on my saltwater mixing station which is the last image below thats connected to my display with my GHL MaxiSA doser for AWC's, there VarioS2 thats on my REGAL 150 INTL protein skimmer and for my return, Im going to be there largest model which is the VarioS8 that pushes out (3000gph) for my main return pump on the new SCA 150 which will work perfect since I will be running a 20'' external overflow box that will run 3 - 1.5inch drains all the way down to the sump.

Anyways, love to hear some feedback on these new Reef Octo Pulse 2 Power heads.

Very interested in how hard it is to clean these or take them apart b/c if they are anything like the CoralVue Gyre, I will be sticking to my TUNZE Turbelle Nano Streams for my new build.

Octo Pulse 4
Reef-Octopus-Octo-Pulse-2-99.jpg

Octo Pulse
Reef-Octopus-Octo-Pulse-2-96.jpg

Octo Pulse
Reef-Octopus-Octo-Pulse-2-95.jpg

Octo Pulse
octopulse_mount-770x770.jpg

My 50 gallon mixing station incl a VarioS4
Mixing station.jpg

Last edited:

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interested in this also, I have the same skimmer and like the pump. One thing is cheato loads up the needle wheel requiring a total disassembly. On the bright side of that is I clean the skimmer frequently

OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@siggy - I was going to go with all EcoTech Marine, but since i went through 3 of there M1 DC pumps in 2 years i decided to look at a different pump even know i clean my M1 every 3 months.. Anyhow, After narrowing it down to the new Reef Octo Pumps i went with the VarioS4 DC pump for the mixing station and i was very impressed how well it ran, how quite it was when it was running at 100%.. Silent very and to be honest, you can't even tell the pump is running and it's even more quite then the EcoTech pumps... So I went with all TUNZE Turbelle Nano Streams for my 120 for power heads that I am getting ready to break down so I can get ready to put up the new SCA 150. I have all of my equipment, except for a few more items, like my new sump that Elite Aquatics is custom building me which will look like the 1st picture below but spec will be the following 40''x20''x18''. Plus, my return pump since I am going to be going with the VarioS8 and I will use my Ecotech M1 for my Manifold/backup that will be hard plumbed in to run my Scrubber and my two reactors. As soon as my sump has landed I will be starting my build thread in the members area. Here some pixs of this system and some of the gear I will be running.. Remember, i have been designing this system for over a year now and I can't freaking wait to complete this puzzle.

Elite Aquatics custom sump w/out a refuge
RCS40.jpg

GHL ProfiLux4 Ultimate kit
GHL - Ultimaate set.jpg

AI FIFTY TWO
Hydra Fiftytwo HD.JPG

GHL MAXISA DOSER
Maxi SA.JPG

SCA-150
My center shjow pcs.JPG

Reef Octo 150 intl
Regal 150.JPG

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone use these?
I have one 150-ss the external pump would make maintenance easier, I have to pull and disassemble the whole thing to clean the Cheetos's out of the pump needle wheel

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a octo pulse 2 on the way, should be wet in a week

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was fortunate enough to see them in action at Reefapalooza and from a couple of days that I watched them let me tell you - if you are a vortech fanboy, you will be heartbroken .

The octo 4 moves just as much water as the MP40qd , silent as anything possible and most importantly - you can swivel them. Lastly love the fact that they donot have EARS outside the tank as the magnets holding them are pretty sleek.

Am planning for 4-5 of them in my new build if I decide to finally go different path than my tunzes .

Regards,
Abhishek

OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was fortunate enough to see them in action at Reefapalooza and from a couple of days that I watched them let me tell you - if you are a vortech fanboy, you will be heartbroken .

The octo 4 moves just as much water as the MP40qd , silent as anything possible and most importantly - you can swivel them. Lastly love the fact that they donot have EARS outside the tank as the magnets holding them are pretty sleek.

Am planning for 4-5 of them in my new build if I decide to finally go different path than my tunzes .

Regards,
@Abhishek - I feel ya, I have always ran all TUNZE Controllable pumps in my current 120 mixed reef tank that I am getting ready to break down! For my new SCA 150 build I am going to be running 2 TUNZE 6105's Streams on each side of my tank pulsing and then a pair of 6055's Turbelle Nano Streams installed on the back of the 150 so there will be ZERO dede spots in the tank. As far as my main return pump, instead of going with an EcoTech Marine L1, I have decided to go with @Reef Octopus VarioS8 Controlable DC pump pushing out 3100gph which include a Float Switch and run my EcoTech Marine M1 return pump , I will be using that for my Manifold that will run a Clear Water Scrubber, BRS Dual reactor and my AquaUV sterilizer. My 150 build thread I will be starting very soon, just waiting on Elite Aquatics on designing my sump SPECS 40''x18''x18''. Feel free to follow me since I will be STARTING my new SCA 150/GHL build thread!

RaikOu1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Regards,
Abhishek

I don’t see a reason to be heartbroken, for me I just like the vortech because I have zero power cables inside the Tank, but this is only my personal preference.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see a reason to be heartbroken, for me I just like the vortech because I have zero power cables inside the Tank, but this is only my personal preference.
First I have a MP40 and love it! I have my O.P.2 and am going to swap out my wave-puck ^^^^^^^That is always nice if your going for Aesthetics ....AND..... they are mounted to the back of the tank otherwise your tanks has huge Warts which is worse IMO. If safety is a concern you have all that equip in the sump.

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First I have a MP40 and love it! I have my O.P.2 and am going to swap out my wave-puck ^^^^^^^That is always nice if your going for Aesthetics ....AND..... they are mounted to the back of the tank otherwise your tanks has huge Warts which is worse IMO. If safety is a concern you have all that equip in the sump.

I'm swapping out the pucks to they are going in the smaller tank while the two pulse 4 going in the 210 to replace the pucks in the corners.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Of course not. I've seen countless new products come in with a bang .... and go out with a wimper. Plus anybody who uses the term 'fanboy' immediately loses me ... I stop reading. So we shall see. They look nice. Maybe more Jebao competition than vortech.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got two of these to replace the pucks I had that's been moved to a smaller tank and boy do these give the mp60s a run for it's money.

Have you set them up yet? Curious what they mean by 360 degree. Can you, for example, set them up to direct flow along the side of the tank that are mounted to? Looks like the articulation is quite minimal, rather like the WAV pumps.

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have set them up. You can rotate the pump on the magnet to point them around like up down left right.

I have my two mp60s at 100% and these at 100% placed my hand in front of it and they have same amount of force on them moving water.

So far I really like them. Will have to see how the corals responds. Definitely a lot of water movement.

njohnson2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I'm setting up a new tank and want to put these in it. Look forward to hearing your experience.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 57 41.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 70 50.7%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back