OP
OP
smalltimereefin

smalltimereefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Andddd I just read your link. Strange swimming, reclusiveness, and sensitive to light are there.

Time will tell here is what it looks like, ill post the results of the fresh dip.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope the little guy makes it he's got beautiful markings would love to see him grow. No flashing or any of that. Looking at velvet a bit deeper it doesn't look like it now at least. His scales are clean and vibrant looking, no signs of specs or anything.

That's good. I'd just keep and eye on him and maybe do a few more water changes every few days, just in case it's ammonia. Odd that it's just the one and not the other having problems.

Slayvoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very pretty fish. i am thinking about getting a couple frostbite clowns or mocha davincis for a saltwater tank i plan to build

OP
OP
smalltimereefin

smalltimereefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so prepping for the dip now. The qt i bought wasnt what I thought, so this measuring cup will have to do. Also, I jist noticed the other guy I thought was healthy flashing on a rock, would it hurt to dip him in the same water after the little guy? Or should I change the RO water and let the temp readjust so I can dip him in cleaner water?

15031060755051036664905.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so prepping for the dip now. The qt i bought wasnt what I thought, so this measuring cup will have to do. Also, I jist noticed the other guy I thought was healthy flashing on a rock, would it hurt to dip him in the same water after the little guy? Or should I change the RO water and let the temp readjust so I can dip him in cleaner water?

I would do the second one in new water.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Flashing is what I was afraid of. All three fish I've gotten from LiveAquaria have come in with velvet. Lost the first one because didn't have a QT at the time. The other two are in QT right now.

I would set up separate dips for each fish, only to see what comes off of each. Flukes you can treat with parazipro in your DT. However given my bad experiences with LA, I'd treat in a QT tank with coppersafe at 2.0ppm for 30 days just to be safe.

OP
OP
smalltimereefin

smalltimereefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks mel. Robyn, he only flashed quickly twice when I added the cups to hang on the tank, hoping he was just excited but it was clearly against a rock. Liveaquaria wont enjoy my review lol. That seems like something really serious to come with brand new (expensive) fish. I appreciate the info, lets hope for the best. Ill try to get a quick video or picture of the dip for you guys. 5 minutes, even though they are tiny they can handle it?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flashing is what I was afraid of. All three fish I've gotten from LiveAquaria have come in with velvet. Lost the first one because didn't have a QT at the time. The other two are in QT right now.

I would set up separate dips for each fish, only to see what comes off of each. Flukes you can treat with parazipro in your DT. However given my bad experiences with LA, I'd treat in a QT tank with coppersafe at 2.0ppm for 30 days just to be safe.
Every distributor/LFS has velvet now. Almost every fish you get now will have or carry velvet, ich, or flukes. Often all three. Sad reality.

Anyone interested in reading up on how and why that is, here's an article about it:

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/lfs-fish-“treatment”-the-“sudden”-need-for-quarantine.308/

OP
OP
smalltimereefin

smalltimereefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woooops, my apologies for the ignorance. I'll stick to 5 for best results. Thanks for the info ford, so how do you guys keep your fish disease free, or deal with adding new fish? Guessing that's why I've read so much about quarantining all new fish. Live and learn. Determined to save these little fellas.

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woooops, my apologies for the ignorance. I'll stick to 5 for best results. Thanks for the info ford, so how do you guys keep your fish disease free, or deal with adding new fish? Guessing that's why I've read so much about quarantining all new fish. Live and learn. Determined to save these little fellas.
Carefully quarantine everything even corals and cuc.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can save them easy. FW dip to knock off most of the parasites, then into a QT tank with Coppersafe at 2.0ppm for 30 days. If copper drops below 2.0, reset the 30 days. You can get an API test for the copper. Post pictures here if you have trouble reading it, we can help you. I do this with all new fish now, regardless if they show signs of parasites or not.

You can get a 10g tank from walmart cheap. That and heater(I have one of the cheapo $10 ones) and sponge filter is all you need.

OP
OP
smalltimereefin

smalltimereefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Barrett. So, how do all these fish survive at the vendors they come from if they are riddled with parasites and diseases to begin with?

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get the sponge in your DT it'll pick up some bacteria, I don't think you have the time to do that so you'll need to watch your ammonia closely. Water changes will keep ammonia down while the QT cycles, but you'll need to bring the new water to 2.0ppm copper before adding it to the QT.

OP
OP
smalltimereefin

smalltimereefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roger that. I actually cycled this tank rather quickly with ammonia drops but used the live rock for the bacteria instead of bittled bacteria that was recommended, and it worked like a charm. Wouldnt it be a better idea for bottled bacteria in the QT tank just to avoid possible contamination from my existing tank, or the shop I bought the live rock from?

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't want to put the bacteria directly in the water, seed whatever filter media you are using with the bottled bacteria, make sure not to run any carbon in your qt as it will remove any medications you dose the water with.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 120 43.2%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 133 47.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 12 4.3%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 2.9%
Back