New Tank Flow Problems: Surging Flow

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm experiencing a weird "surging" or "pulsating" flow on my new build. Here are the details (sorry in advance for the length)...

I just set up a 120 gallon tank with an external overflow and a 40 gallon sump. I've went with a Bean Animal filter. I used 1" plumbing for all 3 drains, and both returns. I have a gate valve on the primary drain, which runs into a filter roller in the first chamber. The secondary runs into the first chamber (not through the roller). The emergency drain runs into the sump area.

Initially I was wanting to run dual return pumps. I did some rough flow calcs and went with dual Vectra M2 pumps, one feeding each return. I figured after flow loss from head/friction, these would work fine on lower settings (rather than running smaller pumps at high power). I was wrong. Two M2 pumps on their LOWEST settings provided WAY too much flow. The primary drain all the way open PLUS the secondary drain barely kept up with the flow. I pulled one of the pumps, so now I only have a single M2. But this still seems to too much flow. My primary drain is at full siphon, and the secondary is still getting a LOT of flow. TONS of water is making its way through the secondary drain. It's SUPER noisy.

On top of that, the flow is slowly "pulsing." The amount of water in the overflow box increases steadily, makes a "gushing" sound as it apparently "flushes" down the secondary drain, and then goes down rapidly. Then that cycle repeats. The flow down the primary drain seems to remain steady. It's the secondary drain that seems to be responsible.

I thought maybe I was still getting too much flow so I put a ball valve on each return to back down the overall flow a little more. This helped some, but I'm still getting the surging/flushing flow.

Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong? I'll add some photos of my setup shortly.

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
IMG_8263.jpeg
IMG_8272.jpeg
IMG_8302.jpeg
IMG_8336.jpeg

Since these photos I've added ball valves to each of the return lines.

Also, pardon the weird plumbing coming off the M2 return pump. I'm planning to clean that up a bit once I get things sorted.

Herbster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would probably be better to provide a diagram of the plumbing as the angles of the photos lead to confusion. Black tubing and black joints blend together too well!!

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Would probably be better to provide a diagram of the plumbing as the angles of the photos lead to confusion. Black tubing and black joints blend together too well!!

I'll shoot a video tomorrow. I feel like a 2-D diagram would be even more confusing.

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your main drain should be lower than the secondary drain and your emergency drain is the tallest. on my overflow I have that u fitting that that helps create the siphon much lower than the secondary drain. Look up on Senergy reef on their shadow overflow and how to install. This is the way I have mine and it is dead silent

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
your main drain should be lower than the secondary drain and your emergency drain is the tallest. on my overflow I have that u fitting that that helps create the siphon much lower than the secondary drain. Look up on Senergy reef on their shadow overflow and how to install. This is the way I have mine and it is dead silent

Yeah I’m not sure why their product photo shows the primary and secondary the same size. They’re not. They’re roughly 2”, 4” and 6” for the 3 drains

I’ll check out the Synergy Shadow

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your v2 set to pulse mode?
That would create a surge movement.
Just checking, this pump has a few settings for different flows and rates through the app.

Last edited:

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With what you have make sure your Main drain is lower that the secondary By about 3/4 inch or so if they are the same height then they are working against each other. Once this is done turn you gate valve all the way open and slowly close it until the flow in the overflow is right, small adjustments and let alone for about 4 or 5 min between adjustments to give time for things to balance out

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
IMG_8263.jpeg
IMG_8272.jpeg
IMG_8302.jpeg
IMG_8336.jpeg

Since these photos I've added ball valves to each of the return lines.

Also, pardon the weird plumbing coming off the M2 return pump. I'm planning to clean that up a bit once I get things sorted.
Your water level in the sump is low and best is to slightly reduce the amount of flow coming into sump which will raise that level. If that does not work, please post a video of what you are then referring to

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok thanks for the input so far. I've got a couple of things to check on when I get home tomorrow.

I'll post a video for more clarity.

@Chris Spaulding Synergy's installation guide actually doesn't recommend the U-pipe for systems under 1500 gph

I wonder though if I did the U-pipe if I could go back to my original two-M2 plan :squinting-face-with-tongue:

Last edited:
OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Is your v2 set to pulse mode?
That would create a surge movement.
Just checking, this pump has a few settings for different flows and rates through the app.

I don't BELIEVE so. I haven't connected it to Mobius yet so I'm just going by the default factory settings which I believe are constant flow rate. I'll have to check for sure in the morning when I get home. That thought had crossed my mind though!

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't BELIEVE so. I haven't connected it to Mobius yet so I'm just going by the default factory settings which I believe are constant flow rate. I'll have to check for sure in the morning when I get home. That thought had crossed my mind though!
Just had to check.
Good luck.
Great pump…enjoy

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 26 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back