OP
OP
J

Jeradb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The co2 scrubber won't help much and you don't need it right now.

The more that you do to interfere with this will need to be repaid like 10x later on. Just let it be and let nature work. Nature is better at this than you are. Just feed those clowns smartly for a bit longer, get another fish or two, if you want, in a few weeks and wait for some algae to form. Once the algae forms, then test some more stuff. Until then, have a loved one hide all of the supplements and test kits from you
Haha I'm sure she already has that idea but thanks I'll wait on the scrubber, so should I stop using the marine buffer and just let the pH hang out at 7.8?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH is a product of co2 in the water. The Seachem Buffer product has carbonate and bicarbonate in it (baking soda and washing soda - yes, like you find at the grocery store) which can remove some co2, but it is very temporary and the alkalinity numbers just rises and rises. You do not want your alk too high or else calcium and carbonate can precipitate out of the water and form a dusty looking residue on stuff.

Seachem has been blasted for years about falsely advertising that stuff since it you happen to hit 8.3, it was only by chance.

OP
OP
J

Jeradb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH is a product of co2 in the water. The Seachem Buffer product has carbonate and bicarbonate in it (baking soda and washing soda - yes, like you find at the grocery store) which can remove some co2, but it is very temporary and the alkalinity numbers just rises and rises. You do not want your alk too high or else calcium and carbonate can precipitate out of the water and form a dusty looking residue on stuff.

Seachem has been blasted for years about falsely advertising that stuff since it you happen to hit 8.3, it was only by chance.
Sounds good, so continue to just test for ammonia and nitrites till the nitrites are 0?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was serious. Hide the test kits. Feed the fish a smart amount for another few weeks and get another one if you want. Test again when the algae forms - this is mostly to give you some closure since the tank will not likely have any appreciable ammonia or nitrite, so you could skip the test then if you want. This does not mean that you are cycled and out of the clear. It just means that the tank is progressing and you can add stuff like fish and inverts slowly and smartly and progress along with it. The tank will not likely be able to handle a dynamic event yet like stocking really fast or an accident or anything.

OP
OP
J

Jeradb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was serious. Hide the test kits. Feed the fish a smart amount for another few weeks and get another one if you want. Test again when the algae forms - this is mostly to give you some closure since the tank will not likely have any appreciable ammonia or nitrite, so you could skip the test then if you want. This does not mean that you are cycled and out of the clear. It just means that the tank is progressing and you can add stuff like fish and inverts slowly and smartly and progress along with it. The tank will not likely be able to handle a dynamic event yet like stocking really fast or an accident or anything.
Alright thanks for the help!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 19 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 167 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.6%
Back