New to hobby what equipment is needed

lucathedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up my first reef tank soon! I plan to get this aquarium. Landen 60P 26.23 Gallon. I am setting it up for a pair of clowns and some easy coral and anaonomis. I was going to get an ai prime blade grown 21 inch as the lighting. For a protein skimmer I was thinking of getting a

Aquamaxx Ws-1 In-sump Protein Skimmer. Is that alright for the sump that the Landen has. And is it good in general. Then I need a suggestion for an ato. I also want to know what other equipment and chemicals I need to get this started. Sorry I know I am not the best speller but thanks for the help​

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am setting up my first reef tank soon! I plan to get this aquarium. Landen 60P 26.23 Gallon. I am setting it up for a pair of clowns and some easy coral and anaonomis. I was going to get an ai prime blade grown 21 inch as the lighting. For a protein skimmer I was thinking of getting a

Aquamaxx Ws-1 In-sump Protein Skimmer. Is that alright for the sump that the Landen has. And is it good in general. Then I need a suggestion for an ato. I also want to know what other equipment and chemicals I need to get this started. Sorry I know I am not the best speller but thanks for the help​

I might consider getting an all-in-one system since it's easier, and you know which things are 'compatible'. I am not sure that an ATO is mandatory (it's fine if you want it) - I like the Tunze Osmolator. With a small tank it's easy to just add RODI to your tank now and then (IMHO).

You will probably want an RODI set up OR - again with a small tank, you can buy RODI water from an LFS. Chemicals - I don't think you necessarily need 'anything' - since you can probably manage things with water changes for that size tank.

As to testing -You can pick your brand (I personally use API due to its price, and in my estimation as easy to use and as accurate as other testers - many will disagree with this though). You will want a refractometer to measure specific gravity.

As to salt - I don't think there is a huge difference - the important thing IMHO is to stick with one brand. You can also get pre-mixed saltwater at most LFS.

Then it comes down to adding water and fish. I would consider having a plan with regards to Quarantine (are you going to do it or not). You will hear 100 opinions about cycling - I personally like @Lasse article - how to set up a reef tank. here is the link: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/15-steps-to-starting-a-saltwater-aquarium-the-lasse-method.597/

Hope this helps! Good luck on your reefing journey

Last edited:

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Figure out your end goal so that you don't waste money on stuff that you will never use.

OP
OP
L

lucathedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might consider getting an all-in-one system since it's easier, and you know which things are 'compatible'. I am not sure that an ATO is mandatory (it's fine if you want it) - I like the Tunze Osmolator. With a small tank it's easy to just add RODI to your tank now and then (IMHO).

You will probably want an RODI set up OR - again with a small tank, you can buy RODI water from an LFS. Chemicals - I don't think you necessarily need 'anything' - since you can probably manage things with water changes for that size tank.

As to testing -You can pick your brand (I personally use API due to its price, and in my estimation as easy to use and as accurate as other testers - many will disagree with this though). You will want a refractometer to measure specific gravity.

As to salt - I don't think there is a huge difference - the important thing IMHO is to stick with one brand. You can also get pre-mixed saltwater at most LFS.

Then it comes down to adding water and fish. I would consider having a plan with regards to Quarantine (are you going to do it or not). You will hear 100 opinions about cycling - I personally like @Lasse article - how to set up a reef tank. here is the link: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/15-steps-to-starting-a-saltwater-aquarium-the-lasse-method.597/

Hope this helps! Good luck on your reefing journey
What is the best aio system for pair of clowns? As a beginner? A couple options would be great thanks

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What is the best aio system for pair of clowns? As a beginner? A couple options would be great thanks
Actually I'm glad you mentioned this - for a couple reasons.

1. The type - I tend to like RedSea - I would look at various manufacturers an pick one with good reviews, etc.
2. I meant to mention this before when you said a 26 gallon tank with some clowns coral and a couple anemones. You will see numerous threads here about needing an extremely mature aquarium to keep anemones. I'm not sure thats true, however, what is needed is probably experience, and a stable water condition. If you are going to try an anemone, I would consider only buying one that you have looked at (in an LFS) - and even then - pay for it and let them keep it for 3-4 weeks - so you know its healthy and doing well. If an anemone dies, it can quickly hurt your tank. (Especially a small tank)

OP
OP
L

lucathedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I'm glad you mentioned this - for a couple reasons.

1. The type - I tend to like RedSea - I would look at various manufacturers an pick one with good reviews, etc.
2. I meant to mention this before when you said a 26 gallon tank with some clowns coral and a couple anemones. You will see numerous threads here about needing an extremely mature aquarium to keep anemones. I'm not sure thats true, however, what is needed is probably experience, and a stable water condition. If you are going to try an anemone, I would consider only buying one that you have looked at (in an LFS) - and even then - pay for it and let them keep it for 3-4 weeks - so you know its healthy and doing well. If an anemone dies, it can quickly hurt your tank. (Especially a small tank)
Does Red Sea come with protein skimmer? And which model?

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree with some of the previous comments…. AIO would do well for this type tank setup… I will add that if you can swing something a little bigger go for it as you will most likely enjoy the hobby and will want to go bigger soon….

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights is where I wasted the most money on. First I wanted FO, then I added softies (new lights needed), then LPS, and finally SPS, so more money for that, and finally, I said screw SPS (didn't have the time), and expensive lights were kinda wasted. I also went through 5 different tanks.

OP
OP
L

lucathedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree with some of the previous comments…. AIO would do well for this type tank setup… I will add that if you can swing something a little bigger go for it as you will most likely enjoy the hobby and will want to go bigger soon….
Max I’d do is 3 footer bc of cost. Any tank set up for that size in particular or like a 2 foot cube that’s aio

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 25 86.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 6.9%
Back