New to Saltwater - Just Starting

dancer503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

I’m new to saltwater and want to start with a 20 gallon long for my first tank and work my way up to dip my toes first. I’ve done tons of research but I’m having trouble with a selecting a filter. I don’t have the funds yet for a sump, so I was wondering if the aquatic 300 GOH HOC filter with skimmer and UV would be a good start for this size tank?
I want to start with a couple clowns, maybe add domes Zoas and Acans later when fully cycled (which I’ve read is about 6 months), an BTA and CUC. I was going to use lIve sand and rock to start my tank.

THANK YOU! :)

OP
OP
dancer503

dancer503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

I’m new to saltwater and want to start with a 20 gallon long for my first tank and work my way up to dip my toes first. I’ve done tons of research but I’m having trouble with a selecting a filter. I don’t have the funds yet for a sump, so I was wondering if the aquatic 300 GOH HOC filter with skimmer and UV would be a good start for this size tank?
I want to start with a couple clowns, maybe add domes Zoas and Acans later when fully cycled (which I’ve read is about 6 months), an BTA and CUC. I was going to use lIve sand and rock to start my tank.

Aquatop 300 GPH HOC Filter w/ UV light*

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

Did you not get any replies? Welp I guess I will help you out. The filter could be too strong make sure you can adjust the flow on it. Id recommend a tidal 35 HOB filter (hang on the back) its got adjustable flow and easy to manage. 2 clowns would be alright. Zoa's and Acans sound good you'll just need a pretty strong light for acans. Kessil A160 I think should work just above the A80. Live sand and rock is perfect! Just watch out for hitchhikers in live rocks Mantis shrimp can actually hitchhike onto rocks etc. I apologize for no response not sure if you made another thread or not. But hopefully you did but in case you didn't I'll be a filler I guess. Hopefully this will pop up onto your email so you'll come back to Reef2Reef because you've been off for about a month now!
Salutations!
Cam

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back