New

Aziq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for now ive got a 15 fluval freshwater going on, im planning to maintain it till october and if i get to maintain it perfectly i was thinking of trying saltwater , i wanted to do a 40g breeder and im trying to do it on a budget, do u guys have suggestions on how i should do it and any tips? also what equipment i can get on a budget? lights, wave makers, filters etc. Im a bit scared as i dont want to waste my money but im tempted on trying

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

What intentions do you have for the tank? Fish only? Coral? SPS or anemone? Depending on where you want to end up will dictate how you go about things.

OP
OP
A

Aziq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

What intentions do you have for the tank? Fish only? Coral? SPS or anemone? Depending on where you want to end up will dictate how you go about things.
Fish and Corals, basically a full reef tank, do i still dont know which corals ill be going for, which 1 is more beginner friendly?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish and Corals, basically a full reef tank, do i still dont know which corals ill be going for, which 1 is more beginner friendly?
Softies are the easiest while sps (hard skeleton coral) are the least forgiving and have the highest requirements. The biggest costs of a 40g tank will be the lighting but it's also the most important when considering coral.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

"Just keeps swimming!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2reef!

Saltwater tanks are not cheap. Not at all cheap like freshwater tanks are, so just keep that in mind. All the equipment, coral, and fish will cost alot. Here's a small list of things you will need:
- the tank
- lighting
- Protein skimmer
- filter
- powerhead(s)
- sand
- rock
- testing kits
- salt
- refractometer
- heater
- thermometer

OP
OP
A

Aziq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2reef!

Saltwater tanks are not cheap. Not at all cheap like freshwater tanks are, so just keep that in mind. All the equipment, coral, and fish will cost alot. Here's a small list of things you will need:
- the tank
- lighting
- Protein skimmer
- filter
- powerhead(s)
- sand
- rock
- testing kits
- salt
- refractometer
- heater
- thermometer
is the protein skimmer really needed or can it be replaced with something else?

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

"Just keeps swimming!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is the protein skimmer really needed or can it be replaced with something else?
If you are not going to plan to heavily stock your tank with fish, then I think you could get away with a filter sock or fleece roller. If you'd like to max out your stocking list, then a protein skimmer would be best.

OP
OP
A

Aziq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are not going to plan to heavily stock your tank with fish, then I think you could get away with a filter sock or fleece roller. If you'd like to max out your stocking list, then a protein skimmer would be best
im still not sure about what fish ill add, since its still months away, is there any tangs i can keep in a 40g breeder?

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, glad you are here! By doing your research it will save you money down the road. Some equipment is necessary as you start out and others only down the road as your bioload increases. Some people, not me, use a refugium instead of a skimmer.

OP
OP
A

Aziq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, what would be a nice cheap reef light i could buy for sps corals, but also reliable

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, what would be a nice cheap reef light i could buy for sps corals, but also reliable
Sps and cheap don't really go hand in hand. Best option would be one of the black box lights like marsaqua or viparspectra. They'll grow anything. That said they have little customization, built cheaply and I don't like the way they make the tank look.

I would research more before considering a light. You have 3 months after setting the tank up before lights are even needed. Another 3 months after that before you should attempt to keep sps. In the long run it would seem silly to spend the same on your lighting that you will on 2 sticks of sps. Especially with plenty of time to save.

OP
OP
A

Aziq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sps and cheap don't really go hand in hand. Best option would be one of the black box lights like marsaqua or viparspectra. They'll grow anything. That said they have little customization, built cheaply and I don't like the way they make the tank look.

I would research more before considering a light. You have 3 months after setting the tank up before lights are even needed. Another 3 months after that before you should attempt to keep sps. In the long run it would seem silly to spend the same on your lighting that you will on 2 sticks of sps. Especially with plenty of time to save.
Dang alright, seems like i still need to study more about the cycle of the tank and such, im still studying about keeping the levels of the tank stable and the cycle. Is there a video you recommend watching on cycling tanks?

Last edited:

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 27 14.9%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 41 22.7%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 105 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back