Newbie needing help :)

Eaj1001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any corals in yet just letting it establish algae growth and stabilize...algae has started so it won't be long now!

OP
OP
RealtyBoss

RealtyBoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your tank!! ☺️ I found out I have glass glass anemone. :(. Several. Ordered some stuff online Get rid of them. They are bad right? Or is that Inhumane? If so what is suggested? Stinks because they're pretty neat to look at.

Eaj1001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you make them ? That's neat!
They're made from the same compounds natural reef rocks are, they're porous so they accommodate bacteria which is the vitality of a reef tank. Boring worms will be able to cut into them over time it'll be neat to see them in a year.

Eaj1001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your tank!! ☺️ I found out I have glass glass anemone. :(. Several. Ordered some stuff online Get rid of them. They are bad right? Or is that Inhumane? If so what is suggested? Stinks because they're pretty neat to look at.
I thought I saw an aptasia..yes they're bad they sting corals they're close to. I agree they're nice to look at but not worth the damage and they spread quickly..Joes juice will take them out without harm to anything else.

OP
OP
RealtyBoss

RealtyBoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I read that. Also saw some white caulking looking injection. But I have too many babies in there for these guys. Found soooo many brittles and serpent stars and other neat creatures in the later of the new live rock. Even clams! Little ones but still neat.

Eaj1001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I read that. Also saw some white caulking looking injection. But I have too many babies in there for these guys. Found soooo many brittles and serpent stars and other neat creatures in the later of the new live rock. Even clams! Little ones but still neat.
It is neat!.. The brittle and serpent stars are useful I don't get rid of them. Sounds like some good rock and you need a lot for a 150.. That's going to be mesmerizing when you get it finished

Eaj1001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the paste is calcium chloride it won't harm other corals unless you get in the center of a polyp where there mouth is located.. It works instantly I killed one I had about 2 weeks ago with Joes juice.

OP
OP
RealtyBoss

RealtyBoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. I found out yesterday it's 180 gal. Not sure how I didn't know this. :/. I think I might need a little more rock and then should be set. But I bought everything from the one tank I could get. Not sure I want to add any from a different one any time soon. Will have to read up on it. Starting to fill up though!

image.jpg

Eaj1001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is looking really nice! It looks like you have enough or close..You can tell by keeping an eye on your ammonia levels..you can add more if you need it later!

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome_zps7dd338d3.gif

Probably enough rock. I do like the background. Is that a 1-piece insert inside the tank, or behind it? Looks better than a couple of corner overflows.

OP
OP
RealtyBoss

RealtyBoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! ☺️☺️ it is a full piece of rock wall. Not a picture but an artificial rock like insert, inside. I liked it better than the standard films. I'm going to wait a few weeks and see how this goes and then start with something new. When I turned the blue lights all the way on I found all these glowing orange polyps. They're pretty but the camera won't take a pic when the lights are that intense. Looks like garbage

image.jpg

Eaj1001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! ☺️☺️ it is a full piece of rock wall. Not a picture but an artificial rock like insert, inside. I liked it better than the standard films. I'm going to wait a few weeks and see how this goes and then start with something new. When I turned the blue lights all the way on I found all these glowing orange polyps. They're pretty but the camera won't take a pic when the lights are that intense. Looks like garbage

image.jpg
Can't really tell but it looks like you have a pretty large Zoa colony .. Orange is good! Not that common but really pretty and usually pricey! Hope you have some acans in there too..my personal fave!

Eaj1001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I r
Can't really tell but it looks like you have a pretty large Zoa colony .. Orange is good! Not that common but really pretty and usually pricey! Hope you have some acans in there too..my personal fave!
I really like Zoas too!

OP
OP
RealtyBoss

RealtyBoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
then I'm about to research the heck out of them and make sure I do all I can to keep the colony alive ( by looks like garbage I meant my photo. Not the zoas. They're beautiful in person !)

Last edited:

Eaj1001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
then I'm about to research the heck out of them and make sure I do all I can to keep the colony alive ( by looks like garbage I meant my photo. Not the zoas. They're beautiful in person !)
Yeah I understood what you meant iPhones suck at tank pics

OP
OP
RealtyBoss

RealtyBoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already do :) I have red ones, neon green, orange, purple. They're everywhere! Woohoo! About to get a turkey baster and get them fed. Nom nom nom!

Eaj1001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad your happy with it sounds like you scored big with those rocks!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 142 74.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back