Newbie needs protein skimmer advice.

MedicTaboo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all. I'm a newbie to salt, and to this forum. We just set up a 20gal tall that our niece gave to us when she upgraded. We used live sand/rock and her old filter for the initial set-up. We also purchased a 240gph power head. We're now established with 10 hermit crabs, 5 cone snails, and 5 of the snails that snorkel through the sand. As for fish, we have two paired clowns. We had a spotted goby, but it developed some sort of sore on its mouth and died. Our water is staying mostly great with water changes and top-offs, but we need to find a protein skimmer. We're looking for a HOB that will perform properly in 20gal. There are several on Amazon, but mixed reviews only lead to more questions! We have the opportunity to purchase a CPR backpack, that a guy had on his 40gal. For $75 it seems like a great deal, but we just want what will work most perfectly for our tank. Basically, what's too much skimming, and what's too little? Sorry for the long winded post, but I wanted to describe what we have in the initial question since it seems that EVERYTHING is a factor. Haha. Thanks for any help. We're looking forward to many years of salt. We're already hooked!

kevinsmixed90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you know, everyone has an opinion. mine is this: you have to start somewhere and 75 isn't bad for a backpack. we learn by doing and this skimmer is rated for a tank twice the volume as you have which would come in handy if you decide on a bigger tank. after you see what corals, fish, and inverts are out there you probably will! enjoy this amazing hobby!

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like noted above, we all have opinions... :D

I have a Eshopps Hang-On Protein Skimmer PSK-75H for a little over 3yrs (continuously running for over 1095 days 24/7...) on the wifes 20-gallon nano setup... THE THING JUST WORKS, have never had a signal issue (knock on wood;)) and if I had to buy a replacement, it would be the same exact one. Skimmate production is great (nice and stinky:rolleyes:) with the eshopps, even when I forget to clean the cup and let it go a week or two (sometime life gets in the way) it keeps chugging along.

The CPR has a lot of mixed reviews everything from can't stop micro-bubbles to loud when running but, it also has a lot of good (4-Star) as well. It kind a comes down to your budget, experience level, and what you are willing to live with. I have no doubt the CPR will produce skimmate, plus at that price you really can't pass it up.

Last edited:

jps1981

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been peeking on and off at skimmers for my 30g FOWLR. It is such a mess on Amazon. I just wanted something affordable with minimum maintenance that wasn't too big, but reviews are ALL over the place. I have an air pump on the side already that I can use. Even that Eshopps Hang-On Protein Skimmer PSK-75H has 2.9 out of 5 stars on Amazon. According to reviews, there was an older version with a different motor that tanked the reviews or something. The skimmer is the last part I need for the setup, but ... geez ... what a pain. I am pretty much beyond the budget my wife gave me at this point so anything over $75 would make me feel guilty. I just don't know ... I can see film at the top of the water if I turn off the filter and powerhead, so I imagine I need one. I just don't know what to get.

OP
OP
MedicTaboo

MedicTaboo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks y'all! We went and picked up the CPR today and it's soaking in a 1:1 vinegar bath now. I'll get it set up on Friday and see if our $75 deal was actually a "deal!" It just came down to not being able pass up the price. I'm hoping that it doesn't turn out to be a $75 lesson in what NOT to do, but I'm cautiously optomistic that it'll be great. After looking at the Eshopps, that'll definitely be the way we go if this doesn't pan out. Thanks again for all of the help. Something tells me I'll be posting several questions on these forums!

jdpeters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
let us know how that thing works for you, i occasionally see them for cheap used. im willing to assume that a cheap skimmer is still better then no skimmer. i have a 20 gallon reef thats about 9 months old thats skimmer and sumpless and no real issues with algae. good luck

OP
OP
MedicTaboo

MedicTaboo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely will! A guy at the LFS was trying to tell me that I'd "probably have to replace the pump and those things are really expensive." I've looked and can buy one from MANY places for $20-$25. Of course, he was trying to sell me a $180 skimmer at the time... I think for us at this time, we made the right call. I'll let y'all know either way.

OP
OP
MedicTaboo

MedicTaboo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it's been almost a week and so far, so good! Since this is our first saltwater set-up, I have nothing to compare the CPR to. I can tell y'all that it's working as advertised with no signs of issues. The air intake is a little loud when it's opened all the way, so if anyone has advice on that, I'd greatly appreciate that! Otherwise, thank you all for your advice and opinions. It's looking like this really was a deal!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back