newbie needs some help

Exlipser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys,

I am new here and I have some questions.

Sa my tank is around 50 l. and it is equipped with a RedStar 50 skimmer and RedSea 50 lights. It is 3 months old and I make a 20% water change every 2 weeks. I was wondering if everything seems ok to you? What to do next? Buy some tests and then corals? Any info is well appreciated.

unnamed (2).jpg unnamed (1).jpg unnamed.jpg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good job, it looks very nice. Now is time to get test kits to test for ammonia/nintrite/nitrate, so that you can follow your tank cycle. Once the tank is cycled, then you add livestock

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks great ..

Pick up a few test kits .
stay away from API as you will learn fast .. they are known for false and inaccurate readings .

cycle and slowly add livestock .

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good job, it looks very nice. Now is time to get test kits to test for ammonia/nintrite/nitrate, so that you can follow your tank cycle. Once the tank is cycled, then you add livestock
The tank is already cycled .
there is a clownfish swimming and it’s 3 months old .

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest Salifert test kits for Alkalinity, Calcium, Magnesium, and Nitrates. Later you may want to upgrade to the Hanna test for Phosphates and Alkalinity. Next, I would start testing each week. Without corals, you shouldn't see much consumption with Alk, Cal, Mag. However, you will want to watch your Nitrates and Phosphates to ensure your means for nutrient exporting are working (water changes & skimmer). If the above parameters seem to be stable, I would add a couple of corals. Continue to test each week.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 114 43.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 125 47.5%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.0%
Back