Nitrate Levels to High

Fish2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to saltwater aquariums. I started my tank a week ago and did a water test yesterday. My nitrate levels are at 20 I have no fish in it yet. I was wondering if this is a problem or if it would even itself out.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, welcome to R2R....you're going to like it here!

That nitrate you are seeing is most likely from the "dry" live rock you've added to your tank....it's going through a cure. Curing rock is when the old organics continue to decay when added to water, and leach out the nitrates and phosphates. Best bet is to do water changes until the cure is done. And this is the one time 100 percent water changes are OK to do.

OP
OP
Fish2019

Fish2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, welcome to R2R....you're going to like it here!

That nitrate you are seeing is most likely from the "dry" live rock you've added to your tank....it's going through a cure. Curing rock is when the old organics continue to decay when added to water, and leach out the nitrates and phosphates. Best bet is to do water changes until the cure is done. And this is the one time 100 percent water changes are OK to do.
Thank you! Glad to be here! So I should do 100 percent water changes rather than say 50 percent? Should I buy salt water or continue with mixing it myself?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes....100% is fine.

And the cost effective way to continue with your tank is to make your own water (or collect natural sea water). And I'm assuming you're also using RO/DI water, and not tap water. If tap water, it is yet another source of nitrates in your tank.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 60 39.0%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 80 51.9%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back