OP
L

liam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to confirm some values here - is OP stating PO4 was 0.024 or 0.24? My hanna checker only gives 2 decimal places and I find myslef (possibly) in a simialr postion - 0.23 PO4 and 43.1 NO3. The decimal places are highly important! I only wnat to ensure I am seeing these values correclty. Thanks.
0.024, I am using the Hannah phosphorus checker and then using a conversion table

JDCagley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that is to me, the numbers concern me. I recently (re) added sps. My alk dropped from 9.5 to 8.1 (which I can handle) but the NO3 and PO4 numbers concern me. I am worried they are too high. NO3 has been roughly in this range for some time and PO4 has been fluctuating between 0.07 up to 0.20 with water changes. It has been driving me crazy as it seems to swing radically. That is why this caught my attention as the numbers appeared to be in "my range".

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

liam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is something in your tank looking bad? or are you just worried about the numbers?
Very minimal polyp extension, limited growth and have lost a few frags , I suspect due to excessively high nitrates for many months

OP
OP
L

liam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that is to me, the numbers concern me. I recently (re) added sps. My alk dropped from 9.5 to 8.1 (which I can handle) but the NO3 and PO4 numbers concern me. I am worried they are too high. NO3 has been roughly in this tange for some time and PO4 has been fluxuating between 0.07 up to 0.20 with water changes. It has been driving me crazy as it seems to swing radically. That is why this caught my attention as the numbers appeared to be in "my range".
I can raise my phosphate by feeding reefroids to say 0.08, the p04 falls back to near zero over time, the nitrates do not fall

JDCagley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What conversions are you doing from Hanna to your numbers? I am confused on that point as I just take the x.xx number as is? (just tested tonight - pre water change day tomorrow @ 0.23 PO4)

JDCagley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here are recent test values.
Not all notes are necessarily 100% accurate as I was developing this database on the fly while keeping tank running on excel sheet (that sucks). Anyways, the values are the most acurate items in the list here.

test.jpg

ナイトコア猫

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you test your source water and RODI water for nitrates?
It's possible you're adding nitrates when you do water changes...

Sometimes the salt contains nitrate as well, but:

Yes I did have a bacterial bloom but even with wet skimming it seems the bacteria were not being removed from the system, maybe I just need to perservere through the bacterial slime for longer instead of backing off some, thanks.

The bacterial sheets (mulm) doesn't need to be removed. In KZ, that is what is dosed back to the system via ZEOvit reactor.

I recommend perservering thru, yes. It is possible as I said above, that 4 mL/day isn't enough, and I think your number will be around 7 mL/day. However, in the spirit of KZ, we'll ramp up this amount over a couple of weeks. During this time, nitrate may increase, though it should be less of an increase than before, if you are feeding the exact same amount.

I am really looking forward to seeing what the test results will be in 1 and 2 weeks.

Keep in mind, at the higher range of nitrate, precision is reduced, so it may not be obvious we're improving.

OP
OP
L

liam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes the salt contains nitrate as well, but:

The bacterial sheets (mulm) doesn't need to be removed. In KZ, that is what is dosed back to the system via ZEOvit reactor.

I recommend perservering thru, yes. It is possible as I said above, that 4 mL/day isn't enough, and I think your number will be around 7 mL/day. However, in the spirit of KZ, we'll ramp up this amount over a couple of weeks. During this time, nitrate may increase, though it should be less of an increase than before, if you are feeding the exact same amount.

I am really looking forward to seeing what the test results will be in 1 and 2 weeks.

Keep in mind, at the higher range of nitrate, precision is reduced, so it may not be obvious we're improving.
my corals are so stressed with little polyp extension I don't believe they are consuming a measurable amount of the bacterial mulm in the system. I will continue with the dosing and increase based on testing/ observations. I will be sure the keep the thread updated,thanks

OP
OP
L

liam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What conversions are you doing from Hanna to your numbers? I am confused on that point as I just take the x.xx number as is? (just tested tonight - pre water change day tomorrow @ 0.23 PO4)
If you look at Hannah meters you will see there is a phosphorus meter,this is different to the regular low range phosphate meter ,it is alleged to be more accurate at low range phosphate testing but you need to convert the reading, my meter reads 8 which on the conversion table equates to 0.024 p04.
Take a look for bulk reef supply video on YouTube where they tested phosphate meters.

OP
OP
L

liam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here are recent test values.
Not all notes are necessarily 100% accurate as I was developing this database on the fly while keeping tank running on excel sheet (that sucks). Anyways, the values are the most acurate items in the list here.

test.jpg
Love your spreadsheet,the notes really make it,you get a good idea of the reaction of your system to whatever change you made.
I have used a similar log function in my ghl profilux4 in the past,maybe I should make more use of it again

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP is using the Hanna ULR Phosphorus checker. This checker reports whole number values between 0 and 200. The results are ppb of phosphorus. To get the phosphate value from the reading, users of this checker need to use this coversion chart, which is what OP is talking about.

JDCagley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love your spreadsheet,the notes really make it,you get a good idea of the reaction of your system to whatever change you made.
I have used a similar log function in my ghl profilux4 in the past,maybe I should make more use of it again
Thank you. It is actually an Access database I created. I had to make some databases for work and got to thinking - this would work better for my tank as well. And it does. I am no access database pro, but I think what I have is 'good enough'! I'd share it if you are interested. (requires microsoft 365 or access standalone at a minimum).

OP
OP
L

liam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to update progress, or lack of lol.
Nitrates continued to rise last week while dosing nopox at 3ml,I raised phosphates slightly via reefroids nitrates reached 57.4 and I then performed a just under 50 % water change which dropped nitrates to 26.9.
I also retested my make up water (red sea blue bucket) and it tested 0 nitrate with Hannah hr.
I increased nopox to 5ml at the weekend and nitrates are still climbing ,now at 31.5.
I plan to keep at 5 ml for now, no sign of bacterial bloom yet. Phosphate continues to drop so I may likely switch phosphate control to dosing disodium phosphate instead of reefroids which are likely adding nitrate also.

ナイトコア猫

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to update progress, or lack of lol.
Nitrates continued to rise last week while dosing nopox at 3ml,I raised phosphates slightly via reefroids nitrates reached 57.4 and I then performed a just under 50 % water change which dropped nitrates to 26.9.
I also retested my make up water (red sea blue bucket) and it tested 0 nitrate with Hannah hr.
I increased nopox to 5ml at the weekend and nitrates are still climbing ,now at 31.5.
I plan to keep at 5 ml for now, no sign of bacterial bloom yet. Phosphate continues to drop so I may likely switch phosphate control to dosing disodium phosphate instead of reefroids which are likely adding nitrate also.

The carbon is working by now, so I infer the nitrate generation from food is too high for that level of carbon dosing. Originally, I predicted around 7 mL/day needed. From weekend to now, 2-3 days, aquarium gained 4.6 ppm nitrate, net. There's a new variable (ReefRoids), but I think we're very close.

Do you have a pH probe?

OP
OP
L

liam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The carbon is working by now, so I infer the nitrate generation from food is too high for that level of carbon dosing. Originally, I predicted around 7 mL/day needed. From weekend to now, 2-3 days, aquarium gained 4.6 ppm nitrate, net. There's a new variable (ReefRoids), but I think we're very close.

Do you have a pH probe?
Yes ph normally 8-8.2, I will monitor ,I do see a little slime in the sump again today, will test nitrates again tomorrow

OP
OP
L

liam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates are finally falling, dropping around 1/2 ppm per day since the end of last week, down to 21.4 this evening.The only thing that I can attribute this to is using nopox alone instead of trying to add additional bacteria in the form of microbacter 7 or clean along with the nopox as I had been for the last several months.
Pure speculation but I suspect the carbon dosing along with the microbacter was causing a proliferation of bacteria that were not taking up nitrate as I was seeing large amounts of bacterial slime in my sump yet no reduction in nitrate, possibly because the bacteria were dying or not being exported from my system.
With just the nopox I am seeing very little slime, some cloudiness of the water but still maintaining consistent skimming, where as before there was so much slime if was coagulating inside my skimmer likely reducing it's effective.
Ph is holding steady so far, thanks all,hope to be in the teens by the weekend.

ナイトコア猫

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates are finally falling, dropping around 1/2 ppm per day since the end of last week, down to 21.4 this evening.The only thing that I can attribute this to is using nopox alone instead of trying to add additional bacteria in the form of microbacter 7 or clean along with the nopox as I had been for the last several months.
Pure speculation but I suspect the carbon dosing along with the microbacter was causing a proliferation of bacteria that were not taking up nitrate as I was seeing large amounts of bacterial slime in my sump yet no reduction in nitrate, possibly because the bacteria were dying or not being exported from my system.
With just the nopox I am seeing very little slime, some cloudiness of the water but still maintaining consistent skimming, where as before there was so much slime if was coagulating inside my skimmer likely reducing it's effective.
Ph is holding steady so far, thanks all,hope to be in the teens by the weekend.

This is wonderful news

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 27 18.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 98 66.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back