Nitrates

Scubalou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried everything from nopx to carbon dosing water changes reactors you name it but my nitrates always come back and are high what am I doing wrong also my phosphate are always zero can anyone help me this has been going on for a couple of years. Thank you Lou

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I have tried everything from nopx to carbon dosing water changes reactors you name it but my nitrates always come back and are high what am I doing wrong also my phosphate are always zero can anyone help me this has been going on for a couple of years. Thank you Lou
Tell me a little about your tank. size? Gravity test kits fish

OP
OP
S

Scubalou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell me a little about your tank. size? Gravity test kits fish
Tank size 90gal switched from 75gal I have been doing saltwater for about 25 years just switched to 90 about 2 years ago all numbers are in line I just have one fish in the tank so feeding not the issue just can't figure it out never had this problem before. I am reaching the point of packing it in I just have to much invested in my systems. Thank you for reaching out Lou

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Tank size 90gal switched from 75gal I have been doing saltwater for about 25 years just switched to 90 about 2 years ago all numbers are in line I just have one fish in the tank so feeding not the issue just can't figure it out never had this problem before. I am reaching the point of packing it in I just have to much invested in my systems. Thank you for reaching out Lou
what is the test kit your using? Do you have a refugium? When you say high what’s the number?

OP
OP
S

Scubalou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is the test kit your using? Do you have a refugium? When you say high what’s the number?
HANNA tests kits a lot of times nitrates 75 I have a micro algae scrubber but I just shut it down because all it was growing was slimie algae I think because of no phosphates

OP
OP
S

Scubalou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I am doing it daily with no luck I have talked to one of the places I get my fish and corals from and they had no answer for my problem

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test your fresh saltwater or make some saltwater with your freshwater reservoir and test nitrates, then report back.

Dose phosphates if it’s actually 0.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested my RO and mixed saltwater and nitrates are zero
That’s good.

Since you’re phosphates are bottomed out, the organisms in your tank will have trouble utilizing the carbon source (they need phosphates, nitrates, and carbon to grow).

I would dose phosphates, which should allow other beneficial microbes to outcompete the slimy algae (most likely dinoflagellates). Neophos by bright well is readily available, but there are higher purity available on Amazon.

For the nitrates, stick with the carbon dosing. It will work so long as phosphates are available. Make sure you run a skimmer to remove the extra bacteria.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 58 39.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 28.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 28 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back