No bucket Water Change/ATO fill

Striike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure there are some out there that have already done this, and many more that have thought about doing it. Just wanted to share what I did to make life a lot easier. I no longer have to carry a bucket of water in order to do a water change, or to fill up my ATO. This not only makes it easier, but it keeps me motivated enough to stay consistent with water changes. I found myself putting off that weekly water change because I didn't want to go through the hassle of carrying a bucket of saltwater up from the garage. I'll try to explain my set up, so if I am not clear, just ask. This thread is only intended to offer ideas for anyone considering this step.

My Aquarium is a 90g, with a 20g sump. I have a 5g ATO bucket in my stand. My reserve saltwater, and freshwater (RO/DI) is stored in garbage cans in the garage. I use a DA Reef Keeper Elite (RKE) controller. I ran a 1/2" pvc line from the garage to my sump. To prevent getting kicked out by my wife, I ran the line up under the kitchen sink, then through the wall to the living room behind the sump. (IE, no one can see it). I have a T connection between the Freshwater and Saltwater garbage cans in the garage, and each has a Mag 9.5 pump for transfer to the tank. I also keep a power head in each for circulation. In line from the garbage cans to the tank I put a sprinkler automatic valve (Fill Valve), which I can control via my RKE. There is another T in the plumbing after the Fill valve, one way leads to the tank, the other goes through another auto valve (drain valve) and is plumbed into the house's main drain. Inside my sump I keep a pump for draining the water. I have manual valves for the Saltwater Garbage can, the Fresh Water Garbage can, the ATO bucket, the sump, and a siphon break for the drain pump. I utilize float switches for the drain pump, SW fill pump, and FW fill pump, with me watching of course.
With this set up technically I can automate my water changes, but the risk of having a spill does not justify my laziness. Therefore, my steps for water change are:
1. Turn off Skimmer, ATO, and return pump.
2. Open Drain Valve.
3. Turn on Drain pump to Auto (it shuts off when it triggers a float switch).
4. Once Drain pump shuts off, open siphon valve.
5. Close Drain valve, open Fill Valve.
6. Turn SW fill pump to Auto (again triggered by float switch).
7. While it is filling, turn back on return pump and skimmer to ensure water level is correct.
8. Once filled, shut off Fill Valve and SW fill pump.
9. Turn everything back on, sit down, enjoy tank.

If you made it this far, I'm impressed. The other thing I would mention is I use the same line for filling up my ATO using the same methods described for filling up the sump. There is a little cross contamination by using the same line, but I use the line for FW 4-5 times a week, and SW 1. So most of the time the line is filled with RO/DI water. I have my iPhone linked to my RKE, so I perform all these steps while standing over my aquarium and pushing buttons on my phone. Pretty cool if you ask me. Hope this inspires someone, just be aware it takes a lot of planning, and you really need a spouse that is ok with you drilling holes in the house. I made it pretty so I was able to get away with it, but please don't tell your significant other that I gave you the idea if she isn't happy with it. Happy reefing.

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How far away can you operate it from your phone? Can somebody else do it with their phone?

GrouperStupor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. Didn't know you could do all of that with a aquarium controller. I'm using x10/insteon...only because I was already using before I had aquariums. But, of course, that's missing ph sensors and the like.

Techbiker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice

You made it sound so easy, but is way above my pay rate, congrats on the awsome idea
that will make my life so much easier

samba_dad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you still have this setup, could you forward a couple of pictures. I am doing something very similar. Here is the link to my post from yesterday describing my plan...https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/eq.../163009-auto-top-off-water-change-design.html. I got a few questions on your design.

1) My wife has also mandated that it must be pretty. How did you make the holes in the wall "pretty"? In my plan, I envision about 5 1/4" tubes running through to my outside drain.
2) What kind of pumps did you use?
3) What is a siphon valve? I am concerned I may create some siphons in my design approach.
4) How did you plan for the head for the pump? I am concerned that I may have a few slight turns of the tubing and it will cause some challenges for me.
5) How many float switches and outlets did you need to use with RKE? I am trying to use the Apex controller for this option.

Thanks for the great post!!

Back