No sump. Would it be better to run a HOB refugium or a chaeto reactor?

legos14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hows it going R2R fam.
I have a 75g dt i am having nutrient issues on. I am trying to lower the nitrates. I run a canister filter because the stand i have does not allow for a sump. Would it be better to run a HOB refugium or a chaeto reactor?

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef

In theory either would produce very similar results. From personal experience, I have had far more leaks and floods from a pressurized reactor than from a hang-on refugium so I would lean towards the refugium for purely practical reasons.

I would go with the largest one you can fit and make sure to use a good light. I would use something like this bundle we have put together.

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
My no sump tank lol
I have cpr fuge
Aquamaxxx skimmer
Regular filter just for collecting debree
IMG_8541.jpeg

IMG_8551.jpeg

OP
OP
L

legos14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef

In theory either would produce very similar results. From personal experience, I have had far more leaks and floods from a pressurized reactor than from a hang-on refugium so I would lean towards the refugium for purely practical reasons.

I would go with the largest one you can fit and make sure to use a good light. I would use something like this bundle we have put together.

I guess what's holding me back from pulling the trigger on it is I am planning on upgrading tank beginning of next year to a tank with a sump and fuge area.
would it make more sense to buy and sell or go with a reactor maybe scrubber ?

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess what's holding me back from pulling the trigger on it is I am planning on upgrading tank beginning of next year to a tank with a sump and fuge area.
would it make more sense to buy and sell or go with a reactor maybe scrubber ?
I have used reactors and scrubbers and I prefer scrubbers but you can have success both ways. With a reactor inside of a sump there is not the same risk of a flood. I might put up with the hassles of the reactor for a little bit knowing that I will eventually put it in a sump where if it leaks it doesn't really matter.

OP
OP
L

legos14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used reactors and scrubbers and I prefer scrubbers but you can have success both ways. With a reactor inside of a sump there is not the same risk of a flood. I might put up with the hassles of the reactor for a little bit knowing that I will eventually put it in a sump where if it leaks it doesn't really matter.
Any recommendations on reactors that could work in both applications ?

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
@legos14 Im prepping for apex pods I’m getting this Friday this is really the sole reason I have a fuge so I can have pods because pods like rock and sand and I also have a wrasse and banggai so pods in my dt won’t last long

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Tunze Macro Reactor could work with and without a sump. You would need to submerge the pump and return hose in the display until you got the sump. With the sump you would put the pump and return hose in the sump but you could also remove the thumb screws and simply remove the and reattach the lid with the included magnet. This makes getting inside the reactor a lot easier and is my favorite feature of this reactor.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back